Tyre pressure sensors

Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
So we've had the kuga a few years now & still love it , excellent car full off muscle , no problems at all no punctures nothing but yesterday as we unhitched and left the yard, the tyre pressure sensor message to check tyre pressures came on, all the same so reset the computer and away we went , it came on 10 minutes later so I reset it again last night , my wife has took car to work and it has not come on this morning ?!
Does anybody else have problems with these , are they prone to become faulty or is it just because I've left the caravan in the yard and going over some quite uneven ground ?
Got up this morning checked all tyres , same pressures and none flat !! :unsure:

Craig
 
Mar 8, 2017
391
13
1,685
wandering.me.uk
The sensors do have batteries in them which may struggle a bit as they age, especially at low temperatures. However it is unusual for them all to display a fault at the same time; I think this behaviour points towards a monitor problem.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
The sensors do have batteries in them which may struggle a bit as they age, especially at low temperatures. However it is unusual for them all to display a fault at the same time; I think this behaviour points towards a monitor problem.

Cheers Dodger , batteries !?
Thought they were all electrical sensors ? How do i get to them ?
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,552
6,342
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
So we've had the kuga a few years now & still love it , excellent car full off muscle , no problems at all no punctures nothing but yesterday as we unhitched and left the yard, the tyre pressure sensor message to check tyre pressures came on, all the same so reset the computer and away we went , it came on 10 minutes later so I reset it again last night , my wife has took car to work and it has not come on this morning ?!
Does anybody else have problems with these , are they prone to become faulty or is it just because I've left the caravan in the yard and going over some quite uneven ground ?
Got up this morning checked all tyres , same pressures and none flat !! :unsure:

Craig

My dash showed a warning twice over a couple of months during early spring when the roads were particularly badly surfaced. I checked each tyre and reset the TPMS. Since then I have had no further problems. Although as I am still travelling the Fosse to Leicester each week I do notice that the authorities have done a great deal of good work in resurfacing large tracts. It is once again a pleasant road to drive.

The battery life of TPMS sensors can range from 5-12 years, or 100000 miles depending on which website you visit. Batteries are non replaceable.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,469
3,605
50,935
Visit site
Craig
This is worth a read http://www.counterman.com/the-leading-cause-of-tpms-failure/

Maybe Ford will replace the faulty one foc?
I assume when tested the tyre pressure is correct.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Thank you both .
Read the article , we are due some tyres probably early next year before we go to France at least , the car is just over 3 years old but has only done 17ooo miles so the sensors shouldn't be that worn out as it's not exactly high mileaged .

If the light should dare :angry: to come back on , I will give Ford a ring.

Thank you
 
May 7, 2012
8,583
1,805
30,935
Visit site
My sister in law had a problem with the sensors coming on after she replaced a flat tyre. She checked with the dealer who had to reset the computer which cured the problem. They said it happens sometimes after a flat tyre although not sure if this is relevant here.
 
Jun 26, 2017
445
17
10,685
Visit site
Are you sure tour car has tyre pressure sensors Craig ?

There are two different ways in which car tyre pressures are monitored.

The first, and most expensive is to have an individual pressure sensor in the valve of each tyre. If you have this type of system, you will be able to view the pressure for each individual tyre from the onboard computer. As one would expect, if any of the pressures are above, or below a certain threshold, then you will be alerted to the anomaly.

The second, and much more common method (although I haven’t checked fords preferred solution) doesn’t measure any pressures, but rather monitors the rotation of each wheel, taken from the ABS sensors. Once set, the car’s computer relates vehicle speed to wheel RPM, which, if all tyres are at the same pressure, will the same for each wheel. If there is a significant difference between the calculated (expected) wheel RPM for any of the 4 wheels, then this will trigger an alert. The system doesn’t act immediately to prevent false triggers such as wheelspin, pot-holes and of course turning around corners. Again, this system is now by far the most common, mainly because apart from the relevan software, it has no cost associated with it, as it is using mechanical and electrical components which are already in place.

If you’ve checked that all of your tyre pressures are OK, then other probable causes could be a dirty or faulty ABS sensor, or a heavy build up of dirt around whichever rortating part of your wheel/hub assembly is fitted with the castellations which the sensor counts as the wheel rotates.

Or it may just be that now the colder mornings are here, the system was previously reset with higher pressure values, i.e. when it was warmer. For this reason, such warnings are quite common at this time of year when it starts to get colder.

I would check and adjust the tyre pressures and then reset the monitoring system first thing in the morning, preferably on a cold one, as this is when the pressures will be at their lowest.

Let us know how you get on,

Ic.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,552
6,342
50,935
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Are you sure tour car has tyre pressure sensors Craig ?

There are two different ways in which car tyre pressures are monitored.

The first, and most expensive is to have an individual pressure sensor in the valve of each tyre. If you have this type of system, you will be able to view the pressure for each individual tyre from the onboard computer. As one would expect, if any of the pressures are above, or below a certain threshold, then you will be alerted to the anomaly.

The second, and much more common method (although I haven’t checked fords preferred solution) doesn’t measure any pressures, but rather monitors the rotation of each wheel, taken from the ABS sensors. Once set, the car’s computer relates vehicle speed to wheel RPM, which, if all tyres are at the same pressure, will the same for each wheel. If there is a significant difference between the calculated (expected) wheel RPM for any of the 4 wheels, then this will trigger an alert. The system doesn’t act immediately to prevent false triggers such as wheelspin, pot-holes and of course turning around corners. Again, this system is now by far the most common, mainly because apart from the relevan software, it has no cost associated with it, as it is using mechanical and electrical components which are already in place.

If you’ve checked that all of your tyre pressures are OK, then other probable causes could be a dirty or faulty ABS sensor, or a heavy build up of dirt around whichever rortating part of your wheel/hub assembly is fitted with the castellations which the sensor counts as the wheel rotates.

Or it may just be that now the colder mornings are here, the system was previously reset with higher pressure values, i.e. when it was warmer. For this reason, such warnings are quite common at this time of year when it starts to get colder.

I would check and adjust the tyre pressures and then reset the monitoring system first thing in the morning, preferably on a cold one, as this is when the pressures will be at their lowest.

Let us know how you get on,

Ic.

Unlike my neighbours 2004 Peugot which has now had them removed due to the cost of replacing them. As they were not mandatory at that time it still passes MoT.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Lc , cheers for that as it happens when we set off from Teesside yesterday morning it was about 2 or 3 degrees above ( but proper frozen over first thing in the morning ) slight sun shining so it was quite cold, when we dropped the caravan off and I restarted the engine it had gone up to 13 degrees which isn't bad for November and that's when it came on , now I reset it again last night and it must have been dropping to about 2 or 3 degrees again with a touch of Frost hinting in the air and reset it then , it went off , my wife took the car to work this morning it was about 6 or 7 degrees , she's driven 4 mile to work and it has not come back on fingers crossed that was the problem as for having it on each individual wheel I haven't i think , it just comes on as an all in 1 sensor alert .

Thanks .
Will keep yous posted to see what happens
 
Mar 8, 2017
391
13
1,685
wandering.me.uk
Guzzilazz said:
The Kuga has the "cheap" version of TPMS, tyre rotation speed checking

I had forgotten about that system, our last car, a VW Passat had it, almost worse than useless and just a way or circumnavigating the EU directive but now I believe outlawed for new models. I have the TyrePal system our Volvo that gives a very clear read out of all tyres, including our caravan when towing.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
14.5o , so I rang Ford at this time and asked to speak to someone and said they can't give out technical information over the phone ! I said what a load of bollocks and demanded that I speak to someone because she says the person on the phone and the car has to be there to warrant it being their car !! I said Impossible with my wife having the car and me getting up there ! Anyway , she got someone from the workshop and he spoke to me and they said it could be a faulty sensor a dodgy sensor or a bit muck on the sensor and for it to be investigated would cost :eek:hmy: £95.oo and even he said personally just keep an eye on it and if you know your tyres are ok just ignore it it might right itself ; fingers crossed !! :blush:

Thanks all .
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,469
3,605
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
14.5o , so I rang Ford at this time and asked to speak to someone and said they can't give out technical information over the phone ! I said what a load of bollocks and demanded that I speak to someone because she says the person on the phone and the car has to be there to warrant it being their car !! I said Impossible with my wife having the car and me getting up there ! Anyway , she got someone from the workshop and he spoke to me and they said it could be a faulty sensor a dodgy sensor or a bit muck on the sensor and for it to be investigated would cost :eek:hmy: £95.oo and even he said personally just keep an eye on it and if you know your tyres are ok just ignore it it might right itself ; fingers crossed !! :blush:

Thanks all .

RIP off :woohoo:
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/dashboard-warning-lights/ford-dashboard-warning-lights/ford-kuga-dashboard-warning-lights/reset-ford-tyre-pressure-monitor.html
 
Oct 3, 2013
890
90
18,935
Visit site
Probably on or near the pressure operating setpoint.I've found the tyre pressure monitor stopped alarming when the car was being driven I think because the tyre temperature went up resulting in the tyre pressure increasing.
Inflating the tyre always reset the alarm.
I don;t think the tyre pressure monitors are part of the MOT test although the condition of the tyres are.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,552
6,342
50,935
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Probably on or near the pressure operating setpoint.I've found the tyre pressure monitor stopped alarming when the car was being driven I think because the tyre temperature went up resulting in the tyre pressure increasing.
Inflating the tyre always reset the alarm.
I don;t think the tyre pressure monitors are part of the MOT test although the condition of the tyres are.

It depends on the registration date of your car and it’s OEM fitment. Why have a safety system that isn’t checked as part of MoT?

https://www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/latest-news/731-new-legislation-causing-uninformed-motorists-to-fail-mot/
 
Oct 3, 2013
890
90
18,935
Visit site
Does that mean if your car doesn;t have a tyre pressure monitor system and it has a certain registration date it will fail an MOT test.As far as I know such systems are not mandatatory.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,552
6,342
50,935
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Does that mean if your car doesn;t have a tyre pressure monitor system and it has a certain registration date it will fail an MOT test.As far as I know such systems are not mandatatory.

You could try reading the link above that I posted in reply to your earlier post.
Here another one. It’s quite clear that from 1 November 2012 new vehicle type approvals must have TPMS and by Novernmber 2014 all new vehicles must include TPMS.

https://www.wintertpms.com/en/tpms-legislation.html
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
It failed because the tyre is faulty,nothing to do with the monitor.

This is a old thread... but it still comes on now and again my tyre pressures are fine ; but I'm within a few weeks of getting new ones for the front as they are on the limits so I'm thinking it's possibly because of that ??
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,552
6,342
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
bertieboy1 said:
It failed because the tyre is faulty,nothing to do with the monitor.

This is a old thread... but it still comes on now and again my tyre pressures are fine ; but I'm within a few weeks of getting new ones for the front as they are on the limits so I'm thinking it's possibly because of that ??

Front wheel drive car and new tyres to the front!! Not good. Like fitting winter tyres only to the front. This article explains why the new ones should go on the rear.

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
otherclive said:
Craigyoung said:
bertieboy1 said:
It failed because the tyre is faulty,nothing to do with the monitor.

This is a old thread... but it still comes on now and again my tyre pressures are fine ; but I'm within a few weeks of getting new ones for the front as they are on the limits so I'm thinking it's possibly because of that ??

Front wheel drive car and new tyres to the front!! Not good. Like fitting winter tyres only to the front. This article explains why the new ones should go on the rear.

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Crikey :eek:hmy: & thanks but the ones on the rear are virtually brand new and full of grip tread so am not doing any swapping about ! I didn't on the last tow car .
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,469
3,605
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:
Craigyoung said:
bertieboy1 said:
It failed because the tyre is faulty,nothing to do with the monitor.

This is a old thread... but it still comes on now and again my tyre pressures are fine ; but I'm within a few weeks of getting new ones for the front as they are on the limits so I'm thinking it's possibly because of that ??

Front wheel drive car and new tyres to the front!! Not good. Like fitting winter tyres only to the front. This article explains why the new ones should go on the rear.

https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Crikey :eek:hmy: & thanks but the ones on the rear are virtually brand new and full of grip tread so am not doing any swapping about ! I didn't on the last tow car .
This has been to death many times with differing opinions.
As long as I’ve had a car the new tyres always go on the back rather the front. Ideally I prefer to replace all four tyres at the same time.
craig,
I’d still fit the new tyres to the rear and the almost new to the front.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts