We receive a text message from our caravan storage last night about a break in

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use to worry about fading in our caravan but we now leave a front towing jacket on and the blinds and curtains are now left open .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We use to worry about fading in our caravan but we now leave a front towing jacket on and the blinds and curtains are now left open .
Every manufacturer of front towing covers recommends that it is not left on when the caravan is in storage for a very good reason. Dust, leaves etc get inbetween the cover and the body of the caravan and when travelling the cover moves enough to possibly cause scratches.

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Every manufacturer of front towing covers recommends that it is not left on when the caravan is in storage for a very good reason. Dust, leaves etc get inbetween the cover and the body of the caravan and when travelling the cover moves enough to possibly cause scratches.
Well in our caravan storage there a good few who leave them on but we do check it regularly and wash the caravan before we go way so far it has not cause any scratches

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Been to caravan storage today there is police notices all around the site saying it under there security we saw a big black box on a tripod taking number plate recognition

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Been to caravan storage today there is police notices all around the site saying it under there security we saw a big black box on a tripod taking number plate recognition
Thatā€™s so they can identify the uninsured, no MOT, no VED, no licence users. Did your site have CCTV to identify where the thieves came in. Mine had cctv coverage, plus a transponder to access the site, which was you personal identification. You swiped going in and going out.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Ours has cctv both inside and out plus 2 key operated gates. I did get an e mail asking for my thoughts on the site and did identify one week ness although this has not been rectified.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thatā€™s so they can identify the uninsured, no MOT, no VED, no licence users. Did your site have CCTV to identify where the thieves came in. Mine had cctv coverage, plus a transponder to access the site, which was you personal identification. You swiped going in and going out.
Hi Clive they have CCTV and hidden cameras including motion detection and on the day the thieves got in nothing came up so they said they are going to have it improved . so we think it will go up more next year but what is important is the caravan

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive they have CCTV and hidden cameras including motion detection and on the day the thieves got in nothing came up so they said they are going to have it improved . so we think it will go up more next year but what is important is the caravan
Could it have been an in house job, by owners who store at the site!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ours has cctv both inside and out plus 2 key operated gates. I did get an e mail asking for my thoughts on the site and did identify one week ness although this has not been rectified.
At the entrance there is pair of big gates and you have to put a number in and they open and then you come to another with barrier and number that goes up and finally to the gate which is numbered and barrier and CCTV

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The police are keeping and eye on our storage compound but apparently other caravan storage around us have also been broken into .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably have a quick look when hey are in the area. Anymore than that would be beyond their resources. Do not expect them to be able to do anything more unless it hits their crime figures and they need to get them down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hang on a minute, Why are comments blaming the police?

Who are the ones that are causing the problem. Its not the police, its the members of society who decide to act antisocially.

It's not the individual officers fault there are too few of them, and its our politicians who determine staffing levels, and the number of forms they have to fill. And just like any worker they are allowed to have breaks.

If members of society were not so keen to be criminals, we would not need the police, blame society not the police.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hang on a minute, Why are comments blaming the police?

Who are the ones that are causing the problem. Its not the police, its the members of society who decide to act antisocially.

It's not the individual officers fault there are too few of them, and its our politicians who determine staffing levels, and the number of forms they have to fill. And just like any worker they are allowed to have breaks.

If members of society were not so keen to be criminals, we would not need the police, blame society not the police.

I do not remember anyone blaming the police in this thread. What has been indicated that they lack the resources due to politicians so blame lies with politicians and no one else!

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A first year Police Constable starts on Ā£23 k. Not a lot when he / she has to face some of societyā€™s scum. The U.K. has 20k vacancies for Officers. Thereā€™s a surprise šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«. I doubt watching caravan compounds are at the top of their priority.
My caravan is adequately insured . If it gets stolen we donā€™t want it back . It can be replaced.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A first year Police Constable starts on Ā£23 k. Not a lot when he / she has to face some of societyā€™s scum. The U.K. has 20k vacancies for Officers. Thereā€™s a surprise šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«. I doubt watching caravan compounds are at the top of their priority.
My caravan is adequately insured . If it gets stolen we donā€™t want it back . It can be replaced.
In my first year as a police officer we were paid Ā£750 per annum in 1968 or Ā£62.5s.0p. Beer was 11p. Cost of fuel for a gallon was 2/6s which was expensive because we had sanctions imposed by Mr Wilson. I stayed in the police mess so had a room and 3 meals a day. We also had a pub on the premises. Managed very well on my salary. (y) :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My grandson joined the police after graduating with a law degree and was based in Bristol. He resigned after 12 months on account of the bureaucracy and attitudes that he felt were 30+ years behind where society had progressed too. He now holds a senior position with a international construction consulting services company.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My grandson joined the police after graduating with a law degree and was based in Bristol. He resigned after 12 months on account of the bureaucracy and attitudes that he felt were 30+ years behind where society had progressed too. He now holds a senior position with a international construction consulting services company.
It makes you wonder what quality they expect. A Police Person has to know the Law, be fit for a punch up, and literate for all the paper work . No chance on virtually the minimum wagešŸ¤¬

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It makes you wonder what quality they expect. A Police Person has to know the Law, be fit for a punch up, and literate for all the paper work . No chance on virtually the minimum wagešŸ¤¬
I know what you mean. Our granddaughter is on an hourly rate equal to the national living wage for a 23 year old of Ā£9.50 ph as a waitress. She has only just turned 17 and in addition keeps all table tips and a share of card tips. So it puts a new constables starting salary to shame.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our training was 6 months in depot learning everything from musketry, equitation, fitness and of course the law. We also had to learn the customs and language of the indigenous people. Minimum pass rate for all exams was 60%

Once you had passed out of depot you then went on a two week driving course on motorcycles and Landrovers. After 6 months out in the field you could apply to do the patrol car driving course and wait to be selected if you were lucky. We had the straight six supercharged Austin Westminster cars.

When our country became no more many left the British South Africa Police and joined various forces around the world. Most of those that joined the British police force left within 3 years as they felt they could not do a policeman's job any longer due to PC and politicians interference.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0bcIENUdg

Please note that the BSAP in Rhodesia was not the same as the South African Police in South Africa. A differrent police force altogether.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty if my caravan gets stolen i would rather have the cash from the insurance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts