Weird electrical issue testing my "intellect"!

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
2020 Elddis Crusader Mistral.
. Initially the 'fridge "beeped" every time a tap was turned on and the Alde readout lost date and time setting but retained temp when on electric setting..
. then , the 'fridge stopped working for two days (blue readout disappeared, but we noticed at night that the readout had a very faint white light). At this point the taps stopped "beeping when turned on.
. then, randomly, the 'fridge restarted for a couple of days before going off again. After that it stopped working completely but still with just noticeable white light behind display.
. now, when set on electric, the Alde defaults to gas (wihilst still losing date and time readouts (ie flashing).
All fuses OK.

This is hurting my very limited brainpower!
Taking it to dealer this week for diagnosis in the hope that resolution won't be too expensive as 'van is now out of warranty.

Any ideas/clues as to what the issue might be?
"Brownout? Connection?

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
My first thought is low battery voltage.
Could be exasperated by an intermittent charger.
Have you checked the battery voltage?

Reactions: Hutch

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Gumpy.
Yes, battery was/is fully charged.
I should add that the issue has recurred on different hook ups.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Second thought is a corroded/loose terminal close to the battery. All the things you have mentioned require 12v
In fact that's a better thought than the first one.

Reactions: PTA
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There could also be a problem with the pump. If the pump is on its way out, it may well have a significant surge current to start it which could pull the 12V circuit voltage down enough to cause control circuits to reset or malfunction.

But a similar problem could be caused by a poor electrical connection of failing battery or power supply.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
There could also be a problem with the pump. If the pump is on its way out, it may well have a significant surge current to start it which could pull the 12V circuit voltage down enough to cause control circuits to reset or malfunction.

But a similar problem could be caused by a poor electrical connection of failing battery or power supply.
Thanks Prof. I think you may be on to something here. We were in Portugal when the issue started. The water on site causes quite heavy limescale and we noticed the water inlet had a trail of limescale from where water had dripped down the caravan side. Also, my wife reported a 'funny noise' once when she turned on the tap. I wasn't there at the time but she said it wasn't the "beeping" but more of a "grinding" noise.
A pump issue would be a logical conclusion.
I will suggest it when I take the 'van to the dealer this week.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Pressure operated pump or those that use an electrical switch at the tap? If electrically activated could it be a dicky switch??

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your kind responses.
Caravan has now been to the dealers who seem to believe that a new 'fridge console is needed. They also found a poor connection from the battery which they have corrected.
They have contacted Alde regarding the regular loss of date and time readouts and suggest it is a separate issue and unrelated to the tap "beeping."
They have always been very helpful so I am quite hopeful the issue will be resolved.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks.
Yes, they said they thought it was related to the back up.
The backup battery pack is bought separately and costs about £10. It clips directly into the PC board at the back of the control panel. The only time you need to adjust the time is when the clocks change.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The backup battery pack is bought separately and costs about £10. It clips directly into the PC board at the back of the control panel. The only time you need to adjust the time is when the clocks change.
I wonder why they don't install one as standard, cost I suppose.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I installed the back up battery in my caravan but I must admit that the Adle and the control panel clocks never agree but only by a few minutes . I installed the battery pack next to the tv booster (560 Swift) which made for easy access and a convenient cable run.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I installed the back up battery in my caravan but I must admit that the Adle and the control panel clocks never agree but only by a few minutes . I installed the battery pack next to the tv booster (560 Swift) which made for easy access and a convenient cable run.
On ours more than enough room to fit it behind the control panel so we were lucky.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
On ours more than enough room to fit it behind the control panel so we were lucky.
Hi Buckman, yes I could have done the same but I wasn’t happy about removing screws and the panel every time I needed to replace batteries. Having said that the battery does last for ever it seems.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Buckman, yes I could have done the same but I wasn’t happy about removing screws and the panel every time I needed to replace batteries. Having said that the battery does last for ever it seems.
As mentioned, the batteries in ours must be over 5 years old. They are Duracell batteries. Probably last because you are not using the caravan everyday?

Reactions: Ferrodo
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I have to ask why are we paying so much money for hi tech caravan systems that imo serve no useful purpose, break down and cost an exorbitant amount of cash to fix🙀🙃

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I have to ask why are we paying so much money for hi tech caravan systems that imo serve no useful purpose, break down and cost an exorbitant amount of cash to fix🙀🙃
My 2000 bailey is low tech, doesn't need 12v to run fridge, heater (without fan) or stove. No central control system for heating, hotwater, pump lighting, which is useful when running off grid as battery can last days especially if I turn 12v off when pump and lighting aren't needed. Central control is great when working but show stopper when it dies and constant drain on 12v power.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have become surrounded by electrical and electronic gadgets, many of which may use digital controls. Does this actually make them better than the old analogue systems many of us older generations remember?

Manufacturers through advertising and packaging hype up products by calling them digital with the intention to make gullible customers think they are actually getting something better. Silly claims such "Super efficient digital electric convector heater" is totally meaningless as all electric heaters are 100% efficient. It could be argued that a digital refrigerator is less efficient, as some of the power it consumes is to run the control circuit which previously was just a switch!

There are so many examples of where manufacturers try to hype up a product simply be calling it "digital" in the hope the general public will believe being digital equates to always being better and will be prepared to pay more for it.

Some manufacturers claims are pure advertising lie-cence, Some manufacturers do change some control to a digital system, and as we have seen in caravans it often is far from better - and has a greater potential to break down and be more difficult and expensive to fix.

There are some digital systems that do work very well, but adopting digital systems for the sake of it, and doing carelessly is recipe for annoying consumers like me.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Arrived home on Sunday afternoon from weekend away and unhitched caravan then discovered motor mover remote battery was flat as it had been left on. Didn't have spare but eventual stole 9V from a smoke alarm. Alternative would've been wet walk to shops as I'd parked car expecting to use MM and not sure would've been able to reverse out of situation.

Lesson learnt always carrry spare battery and replace before next trip if used, which I didn't do.

While MMs aren't essential for placing van on its pad they are so much easier than using car because of busy road and tight site.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Arrived home on Sunday afternoon from weekend away and unhitched caravan then discovered motor mover remote battery was flat as it had been left on. Didn't have spare but eventual stole 9V from a smoke alarm. Alternative would've been wet walk to shops as I'd parked car expecting to use MM and not sure would've been able to reverse out of situation.

Lesson learnt always carrry spare battery and replace before next trip if used, which I didn't do.

While MMs aren't essential for placing van on its pad they are so much easier than using car because of busy road and tight site.
All the remotes that we have had for MM only activated when a button was pressed so a little puzzled how a remote can be left switched on? :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts