Which brand is best for 2022

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

We visited the NEC at the weekend as we are looking for our first caravan. Were quite taken with the transverse led layout (single axle) with end bathroom.

We viewed:
Compass Casita 554
Elddis Xplore 554
Swift celectration Major 4SB

I was hoping to see a lunar Clubman SI but I didn't see one there.

We didn't really like the Xplore 554. Whilst cheaper than the others, the design and general feel didn't really appeal. We really liked the compass and the swift.

Generally speaking with regards to swift/compass/lunar, which are regarded as having the best build quality?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surprised that you would be interested in a Lunar. Are they still producing caravans, I thought after Lunar Automotive rescued Lunar that things have been very quiet from them. I posted a short while back asking are they still in business. Did not receive a response. Their website hasn’t been updated since 2020! But I would tend to go for one from a company that is a main player.
Coachman and Adria have better reputations for quality but they are heavier. But the weights may not be a deal breaker depending on the tow car. My preference would be Adria as their front and rear designs mirror German vans and don’t have flimsy abs panels. Just look how nicely the Adria roof wraps downwards. Both Coachman and Adria tend to do well on pre owned surveys too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Surprised that you would be interested in a Lunar. Are they still producing caravans, I thought after Lunar Automotive rescued Lunar that things have been very quiet from them. I posted a short while back asking are they still in business. Did not receive a response. But I would tend to go for one from a company that is a main player.
Coachman and Adria have better reputations for quality but they are heavier. But the weights may not be a deal breaker depending on the tow car. My preference would be Adria as their front and rear designs mirror German vans and don’t have flimsy abs panels. Just look how nicely the Adria roof wraps downwards. Both Coachman and Adria tend to do well on pre owned surveys too.

Well that’s very odd. I read OC‘s post #3 and it is just two lines long. But when I quote it it comes out as 6 lines. Here is a screen shot.

1646170883688.png

Can any one think of a reason for this?

Anyway. I am very happy with my Lunar Clubman SI. It would appear they are still trading.

But not sure I would have confidence to purchase unless we’ll discounted.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

We visited the NEC at the weekend as we are looking for our first caravan. Were quite taken with the transverse led layout (single axle) with end bathroom.

We viewed:
Compass Casita 554
Elddis Xplore 554
Swift celectration Major 4SB

I was hoping to see a lunar Clubman SI but I didn't see one there.

We didn't really like the Xplore 554. Whilst cheaper than the others, the design and general feel didn't really appeal. We really liked the compass and the swift.

Generally speaking with regards to swift/compass/lunar, which are regarded as having the best build quality?
Sadly I don't think there is any mass caravan manufacture that can honestly claim to be better than another. There is evidence the design of most caravans is potentially ok, but the problem is one caravan off a production line might be absolutely fantastic but the next one might be the purchase from hell. If there is any consistency, it their ability to be inconsistent. For that reason basing a purchase decision on a few comments in a forum might not be the most sensible approach.

You would be better reviewing the results of independent caravan satisfaction surveys which might suggest one brand might have an edge, but with failure rates of around 20% across most brands thats still not a copper bottomed recommendation.

There are some independent caravan satisfaction surveys, which might give a you a clearer picture.

I suggest find the caravan layout and price that suits you best, rather than looking for a clear winner in the quality stakes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well that’s very odd. I read OC‘s post #3 and it is just two lines long. But when I quote it it comes out as 6 lines. Here is a screen shot.

View attachment 2887

Can any one think of a reason for this?

Anyway. I am very happy with my Lunar Clubman SI. It would appear they are still trading.

But not sure I would have confidence to purchase unless we’ll discounted.

John
What; with the latest news on that link dated 2019. Grantham caravans a long standing lunar dealership stated that it’s certain that Lunar Automotive have ceased trading.

Tiny

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Don’t know what the dealers were saying about delivery times, but there are still lots of complaints on various fora that folks are waiting a long time for their new vans and that whatever dates are quoted are being revised. Hopefully things are improving, but whichever van you choose, interrogate your dealer very thoroughly on delivery dates and ask the question, “ Just tell me when whichever new caravan you handed over this week was ordered”
good luck
mel

Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Ok, that's interesting about Lunar, I did a quick Google to see if I could find a local dealer and I couldn't find much.

Regarding Adria, unfortunately they don't appear to have a layout that I particularly liked, coachman are out of budget for the transverse bed layout and with Bailey's... I must have missed the Phoenix+ 644 so add that to the list!

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many of us bought a cheap caravan first to test the water. After using the cheapie we had a better idea fo what we wanted in a caravan. Also after a couple months usage we had accumulated all the necessary bits and pieces.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
In terms of which is the best brand, it appears that all manufacturers have their issues, but like most forums you tend to hear about the bad ones not the ones that have had no issues .
It may come down to what you can actually order if you are wanting something this year as most order books were full some point last year

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lunar were bought out by a South African company on 2019. Their web site is over two years old.
Not sure who , if anyone, is still underwriting the water ingress warranty? Are they still made🤔🤔
No one is underwriting the warranty on caravans bought before Lunar went into administration unless a dealership took it over. CRA is a possibility for owners but spares availability would be an issue for Lunar specific parts. Lunar Automotive were reported only to warranty new units produced by them. But did they actually produce any after their takeover. The grey area would be completed units caught up in the takeover, either in Preston or in dealers. A difficult situation for owners and the work force that were affected.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What; with the latest news on that link dated 2019. Grantham caravans a long standing lunar dealership stated that it’s certain that Lunar Automotive have ceased trading.

Tiny

I did not look that deep, Just assumed that as the web site is live that they were trading. I will have to do better. 🤪

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No one is underwriting the warranty on caravans bought before Lunar went into administration unless a dealership took it over. CRA is a possibility for owners but spares availability would be an issue for Lunar specific parts. Lunar Automotive were reported only to warranty new units produced by them. But did they actually produce any after their takeover. The grey area would be completed units caught up in the takeover, either in Preston or in dealers. A difficult situation for owners and the work force that were affected.
Probably best avoid Lunar unless you are good at diy or buy from a dealer and rely on the CRA.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Probably best avoid Lunar unless you are good at diy or buy from a dealer and rely on the CRA.
I recall reading back when this was a live issue that some dealerships might close and reopen under another name. This would avoid CRA claims. Others were possibly joining together to support existing owners, and any buyers who bought pre owned vans from them. Offers of trade in for other makes was also mooted. But the big issue in my mind is availability of Lunar specific parts.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Eldiss and the Compass are the same caravan and the difference is the furniture and upholstery colours inside. If you settle for them it is more a question of which design you like best or possibly the one you can get earliest.
The Swift and the Bailey, if you look at that, do seem to be a bit better built on average, but there s not a lot in it, so personally I would go with whatever I liked best, got the best deal on or possibly at the moment what had the shortest build time, although the last one gives you a provisional date and it can stretch.
When we last bought one the Swift had too small a shower for my wife and the Eldiss seating was open at the end so you could not rest as easily there. Do look at the detail to get the right one.
As said earlier Lunar no longer build caravans so only second hand ones are now available.

Reactions: PTA
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what you want as spares. Some body panels are available from Caravan Panels if you need new ones and most other things are common to other makes. There is some risk in a second hand Lunar but possibly less than many think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts