Will the electric car strategy the govement has kill Caravans

Page 18 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
This makes an interesting read. Just another view with some elements of truth perhaps🤔😉
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-scandal-Expert-looks-future-road-travel.html

I am not sure how much of the article I buy into. More particulates from break dust, tyre wear and road wear due to weight? I barely use the friction breaks in my EV. They get used from about 1mph to stationary, or to hold when parked. On tyre wear, the car is heavier than an ice of a similar size, but I am expecting 22K-25K miles wear from the tyres - same as my previous cars. Road wear will be the same. The fact that the emissions from brakes, tyres and roads are _lower_ than those for an ICE (predominately because of reduced break wear) represent 99% of the particulate emissions from an EV, but the higher level in those emissions in ICE represent just 1% of particulate emissions (the other 99% coming from the engine) is conveniently ignored.

My son who works for JLR, on the Electric vechile development sidehas stated just, that for about the last 4 years. Brushless motors of course will help reduce particals.

Do any EVs use brushed motors?

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Rang towing a caravan can cut a electric car range by 75% is it feasible to tow a caravan under these conditions.
Short answer - yes,in Scotland club sites are too few and quite a distance from where we stay,unless battery technology vastly improves,you've got to take temperature into account as well which is another chunk off car range when towing.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I agree with Tobes. Unless I'm driving like I stole it I never use the friction brakes. Regen braking brings the car to a halt. V rapidly. As for tyres it appears tyre wear is similarv to our ice mini so far.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Short answer - yes,in Scotland club sites are too few and quite a distance from where we stay,unless battery technology vastly improves,you've got to take temperature into account as well which is another chunk off car range when towing.
I find towing 100 to 120 miles perfectly viable in one go. Last trip was 258 miles one way with 2 charging stops. There are EVs available with better towing credentials than mine, bigger battery, faster recharging times and better tow capacity. And things are always improving.
So I think the answer is "no". The government "strategy" won't kill caravanning at all. It will just take a little longer for the infrastructure and car capabilities to catch up.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sadly I think the DM has just published another very poorly researched or reported article.

Most of the points have been answered by others.

Just out of interest I looked up the author bjorn-lomborg, and found this

"Lomborg is best known as the author of The Skeptical Environmentalist and Cool It, two books that downplay the risks of global warming. Lomborg does not have a background in climate science and has published no peer-reviewed articles in journals devoted to climate change research. He has, however, authored policy studies arguing against climate change prevention measures. He wrote a similar article in the peer-reviewed journal Technological Forecasting and Social Change where he claimed, “Climate policies also have costs that often vastly outweigh their climate benefits.”"

Reactions: Dustydog and Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Sadly I think the DM has just published another very poorly researched or reported article.

Most of the points have been answered by others.

Just out of interest I looked up the author bjorn-lomborg, and found this

"Lomborg is best known as the author of The Skeptical Environmentalist and Cool It, two books that downplay the risks of global warming. Lomborg does not have a background in climate science and has published no peer-reviewed articles in journals devoted to climate change research. He has, however, authored policy studies arguing against climate change prevention measures. He wrote a similar article in the peer-reviewed journal Technological Forecasting and Social Change where he claimed, “Climate policies also have costs that often vastly outweigh their climate benefits.”"
Prof - I did exactly the same - look up the author. I confess I find some of his ideas valuable. For example the targeting of grants at expensive EV buyers which assists those who can already afford to help. But of course the (UK) government has already stopped that practice focusing grants at cheaper EVs only, and moving grants for chargers from home owners to landlords and local authorities.
But suggesting that EVs have little to no impact in reducing CO2 emissions (I.e. continuing the use of ICE), gets my goat…

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Sorry folks, I would love to have an EV car, but this picture hit my sense of humour.

View attachment 2814
It’s pretty funny - I saw it on an EV group a couple of weeks back🤣.

I love the irony that my EV starts faster (no keys or ignition, you literally open the door, sit down close door, buckle up, shift into forward and put your foot down), and takes off quicker (408hp 660nm of instant torque) than pretty much any car I have ever been in…🏎🏎🏎

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It’s pretty funny - I saw it on an EV group a couple of weeks back🤣.

I love the irony that my EV starts faster (no keys or ignition, you literally open the door, sit down close door, buckle up, shift into forward and put your foot down), and takes off quicker (408hp 660nm of instant torque) than pretty much any car I have ever been in…🏎🏎🏎
Fantastic, I think my reactions are way to slow to drive, fast nowadays, my Honda 500 , Is good enough for me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Got an email invite from Toyota to place a reservation of the All New Toyota bZ4X starting at over £41,000 for a small car. I think not at that price.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Same question could be asked about HGV's - Boris green energy drive (vehicle wise) will simply never work nor happen. The whole charade of Green Energy in my opinion is a joke, we in the UK only generate 1% of world CO2 emissions (if CO2 is even actually the problem) and as soon as general energy costs more than double, the public will wake, rise and rebel! BTW efficiency calculations for all these crazy hybrids rely on cheap electricity. Oops now what happens when the cost trebles ? Or if over reliant on wind the wind stops blowing? True science shows that to develop emission "scrubbers" to reduce if not eliminate vehicle CO2 emissions is a fraction of the cost of all their current crazy plans. Why then are they hell bent on doing it, IMO much more money to be made by big business the way they are currently planning.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As I do say 2030 is a long way off and we will have possibly two elections by then and you have no way of knowing how the politicians will be thinking by then or what scientific advantages, discovery's or whatever will have happened by then. People make out the thing is set in stone but it is too far off to be sure.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I do say 2030 is a long way off and we will have possibly two elections by then and you have no way of knowing how the politicians will be thinking by then or what scientific advantages, discovery's or whatever will have happened by then. People make out the thing is set in stone but it is too far off to be sure.
But if most makers are going down the electric line as they are politicians will not have much influence now on what will be offered. The train has left the station.

Reactions: ProfJohnL and Tobes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts