You couldn’t make it up!!

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Off topic a little, but does anyone actually know what Net Zero actually means?
Net zero is a spread sheet exercise that does not in any way remotely reduce actual carbon emissions!
All it does is make people feel good about polluting supposedly balancing their pollution on someone else's luck or misfortune.
Take Drax power station as an example.
They burn the equivalent of 25 million trees per year. It so happens the wood comes from US, Canada, Europe and Brazil. Those places make a living growing trees for harvesting and turning into among other things wood pellets!
They say, we produce all this pollution offset against someone else already making a living off growing trees for resale! There is absolutely no reduction of CO2 in the process. In fact by cutting down those trees the world is robbed of the very thing that reduces CO2 on a global scale!
IMO it is just a great big hoax!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Off topic a little, but does anyone actually know what Net Zero actually means?
Net zero is a spread sheet exercise that does not in any way remotely reduce actual carbon emissions!
All it does is make people feel good about polluting supposedly balancing their pollution on someone else's luck or misfortune.
Take Drax power station as an example.
They burn the equivalent of 25 million trees per year. It so happens the wood comes from US, Canada, Europe and Brazil. Those places make a living growing trees for harvesting and turning into among other things wood pellets!
They say, we produce all this pollution offset against someone else already making a living off growing trees for resale! There is absolutely no reduction of CO2 in the process. In fact by cutting down those trees the world is robbed of the very thing that reduces CO2 on a global scale!
IMO it is just a great big hoax!
It’s more than just a spreadsheet exercise, and this article from Oxford University may clarify a much touted term. Whichever way you look at it there’s no doubt that balancing out new CO2 emissions such that overall levels of atmospheric CO2 aren’t increased is an enormous challenge. No one say that CO2 can be eliminated from human activities, unless we are all dead.

Reactions: Grey13
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of Grey's recent posts the one I can totally agree with is his references to the Net Zero and Carbon Offsetting. Its a numbers game.

However whilst some of the schemes are quite contrived, if it prevents any additional carbon from being emitted then that is an improvement, but its within our power (no pun intended) to actively reduce our CO2 (and associated pollutants) emissions by improving the efficiency of what wedo. In other words do the same work but waste less energy doing it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
net zero

1. a target of completely negating the amount of greenhouse gases produced by human activity, to be achieved by implementing methods of absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

The Uk 400 years ago was covered in forests . All used the Co2 and gave us oxygen

I hear lots of talk about reducing CO2 but so far nothing about new methods of absorbing it.
    Help😉

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
net zero

1. a target of completely negating the amount of greenhouse gases produced by human activity, to be achieved by implementing methods of absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

The Uk 400 years ago was covered in forests . All used the Co2 and gave us oxygen

I hear lots of talk about reducing CO2 but so far nothing about new methods of absorbing it.
    Help😉
Is this a method, perhaps not absorbing it, but storing it? The UK government has put forward the same solution but to offset the new North Sea oil excavation.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
net zero

Help😉
Carbon capture and Storage seems to be the most talked about method. And this approach has recently attracted HMGs attention and support. But even here storage reservoirs must have finite capacity, so reducing CO2 output still has to be a serious objective.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our 1997 Toyota diesel could use old filtered cooking oil from the local chippy for propulsion, but in winter you needed normal diesel for starting the vehicle. Sadly a modern diesel cannot be propelled using recycled cooking oil. I think prior to diesel being used the original diesel engine used oil from peanuts?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
How strange . A couple of years ago we are told there is a W/W shortage of CO2 required for hundreds of things like fizzy drinks.
Re forestation more grass plants saving the rain forests may help 😜. Back to basics 👍.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
How strange . A couple of years ago we are told there is a W/W shortage of CO2 required for hundreds of things like fizzy drinks.
Re forestation more grass plants saving the rain forests may help 😜. Back to basics 👍.
The shortage of CO2 occurred due to a shutdown of a fertiliser plant because of high energy costs. CO2 was a by product of the process.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t suppose diesel or petrol vehicles have ever burst into flames unannounced. If my ageing memory serves me correctly weren’t some Vauxhalls particularly prone, and even after their recall the problem wasn’t fixed.

Why throw lithium onto the thread’s flames just to wind folks up. Nice to have measured discussion albeit with differing views doesn’t make one a zealot.

Even wind turbines are susceptible to fire.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I remember seeing a few 2CVs burst into flames spontaneously when I used to travel up and down the A1.

From what I recall it was something to do with the way the fuel feed was run up the sides of the engine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just about a mile from where I live, there's a back lane where for years (well before EV's) almost every couple of months there is a car fire.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Just about a mile from where I live, there's a back lane where for years (well before EV's) almost every couple of months there is a car fire.
I bet those fires were explainable as in mainly electrical shorts resulting from poorly maintained systems. But not a healthy working systems spontaneous combustion!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I remember seeing a few 2CVs burst into flames spontaneously when I used to travel up and down the A1.

From what I recall it was something to do with the way the fuel feed was run up the sides of the engine.
That reminds me of an incident some years back when I spoke to a neighbour just before we went on holiday. She said she was fed up with her 2CV and wished it would catch fire. When we got back she knew I worked for her insurer and was very embarrassed to tell me it had caught fire but tried to assure me it was innocent. I had nothing to do with the claim and stayed out of it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am sure that one of the recent Ford models had a similar issue with fire under the dashboard and it was a pure petrol model.

The biggest issue with an EV fire is that it is extremely difficult to extinguish and firefighters do not have the correct equipment to contain an EV fire.

I may be anti EV, but lets be fair about it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Zafiras burnt regularly. A resistor component in the heater system. Last year I saw a newish dustcart start burning. Small flames from a leaking hydraulic pipe. The crew sat by and watched. Within 10 minutes it was an inferno. I suspect the fire could have been extinguished easily early on but no doubt the crew had to put their own safety first

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Zafiras burnt regularly. A resistor component in the heater system. Last year I saw a newish dustcart start burning. Small flames from a leaking hydraulic pipe. The crew sat by and watched. Within 10 minutes it was an inferno. I suspect the fire could have been extinguished easily early on but no doubt the crew had to put their own safety first
Yes that load resistor speed control system is the same as in many older caravan fans!
1692197574104.png

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Many years ago I was teaching a friend to drive in his Ford Corsair. We were stopped on a slight gradient in a queue approaching a tee junction. I remember him saying “what do I do now”. Get out said I, we are on fire. A liquid ran down the road towards the cars behind. There was a sudden rush to move them. But it was only water.

Around the same time. I had a Ford Zodiac mark 4. (aka Dagenham dilemma). I parked outside my house. Then went straight to the toilet, only to be disturbed by a neighbour to tell me the car was on fire.

In both cases the fire brigade came. They said it was common with Ford V engined cars. They thought as both the carburettor and distributer were in the V petrol vapour would collect and be ignighted by a latent spark.

We repaired both cars! happy days!

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts