“Combined” Weighbridge weight correct or wrong?

Page 9 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I thought weight is weight is it not?

Using the hitch symbol on the Reich, would give me the reading of myself V the bathroom scale

Picking up the caravan today, so will see how this all pans out, if it’s a dud and the weight is well out, then it’s going back.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok now home from 3 weeks at work, and opened the yellow Reich Scale

Just out of curiosity, as this device has ‘sensitive sensors’ below, then why when I stand on the scale in the kitchen it reads 114kg

Yet when I stand on my bathroom scales it reads 95.6kg, and these aren’t some cheap Argos £10 scales

Should this be normal, or am I looking at this wrong?
Every weighing device will have some error, and unless you have the device professionally calibrated you have no idea of how big the error of your device actually is.

The Reich unit only states it has no more than a 3% error, but unfortunately that does not really tell you very much becasue does it mean 3% of the reading, or 3% of the capacity.

As Reich do not state which you might find its +/- of its 1000kg (or 1500kg for the orange model) which could be as much as 30 (or 45kg for the orange) which means you might have to consider a1kg load might read as much as -29kg to +31kg. (-44 to +46kg)

But if the manufacture was quoting 3% of the reading that would be a very much better but I cant tell you which method has been applied.

Most manufacturers will tell you that when such limits are given, it represents the manufacturing tolerances of the weighing device. In practice such figure represent the worst possible extreme, and in practice most of the production will be closer to the nominal readings. However that does not mean you can't get a device that does sit at the extreme but still within the limits.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Jockey wheel will be about 1 ft behind the hitch. It will give different weights. Due to the moment arm from the center between the two axles. It gets complicated.
Way too complicated for me to work out. I guess you could weigh both with bathroom scales. First under the jocky wheel, then under the hitch supported on a stick. You'd have to make sure the hitch was exactly the same distance from the ground in both instances, and take into account the weight of the stick.

Would it make a difference if the jockey wheel is pointing backwards or forwards? :unsure:

Your right, it gets complicated. :ROFLMAO:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ll feel it in ma bones! 😂

I’ll see how it goes and report back here, depending when I can get a chance to confirm on flat ground
Maybe you will now realise why we sent out Reich back as we found it to be too inaccurate and too complicated for my little brain. :ROFLMAO: Strangely the Reich nose weight gauge was almost spot on by about 1kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Way too complicated for me to work out. I guess you could weigh both with bathroom scales. First under the jocky wheel, then under the hitch supported on a stick. You'd have to make sure the hitch was exactly the same distance from the ground in both instances, and take into account the weight of the stick.

Would it make a difference if the jockey wheel is pointing backwards or forwards? :unsure:

Your right, it gets complicated. :ROFLMAO:

Theoretically yes, but if you have a set of scales that have such a good resolution that the difference is actually measurable then you've got yourself laboratory standard equipment for which you've probably paid a lot more than what you need.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Morning @Hutch

We are leaving the campsite today and will test the device this morning

When you choose the twin axle setting, do you run slowly over the Reich with both wheels and it takes a reading, then do the opposite side….or one wheel, then take that reading, then run under the second wheel at the same side?

I’m just going to use my Nose Weight Gauge for the hitch end

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow, your getting my Grey cells going early this morning.

Set the unit for "Caravan Twin axle" when the hitch flashes press the center button and the two upper wheels ( left side) will flash, roll both wheels over the unit, it will store the combined weight of that side.
Press the center button again , lower wheels will flash, move the unit to the other set of wheels and roll both wheels over again, it will shown combined weight again.
Press total and it will add left and right side together.
I would take a note of the left and right hand side down on paper just to re assure yourself.
Good luck.
Edit. if all else fails, read the instructions. I might have forgotten something.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wow, your getting my Grey cells going early this morning.

Set the unit for "Caravan Twin axle" when the hitch flashes press the center button and the two upper wheels ( left side) will flash, roll both wheels over the unit, it will store the combined weight of that side.
Press the center button again , lower wheels will flash, roll both wheels over again, it will shown combined weight again.
Press total and it will add left and right side together.
I would take a note of the left and right hand side down on paper just to re assure yourself.
Good luck.
My Reich scale was solely for twin axle? Are the newer ones for both single or twin?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine is very old, single axle Twin axle, both with or without nose / hitch and also Motorhome/ car settings.
I think that the one I bought way back in 2012 was twin axle specific, but I am probably wrong. LOL!

Cannot remember, but I thought both wheels on one side went onto the the pad at the same time and then adding the two sets either side together plus the nose weight, it calculated the weight of the caravan. Either way, we found it to be rather inaccurate so sent it back.

The big give away was the nose weight was wildly out and I think the calculated weight was about 100kg out. We had weighed the caravan on a weigh bridge a couple of weeks previous.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think that the one I bought way back in 2012 was twin axle specific, but I am probably wrong. LOL!

Cannot remember, but I thought both wheels on one side went onto the the pad at the same time and then adding the two sets either side together plus the nose weight, it calculated the weight of the caravan. Either way, we found it to be rather inaccurate so sent it back.

The big give away was the nose weight was wildly out and I think the calculated weight was about 100kg out. We had weighed the caravan on a weigh bridge a couple of weeks previous.
Sometimes it can be Operator Error. 🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes it can be Operator Error. 🤔
I must admit that was the first thought that cross my mind, but after doing it 3 times and every time a different reading I was not impressed. The nose weight on the caravan was reading under 90kg when I knew it was actually over 100kg as I double checked with our Milenco gauge.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I must admit that was the first thought that cross my mind, but after doing it 3 times and every time a different reading I was not impressed. The nose weight on the caravan was reading under 90kg when I knew it was actually over 100kg as I double checked with our Milenco gauge.
It is horrible, when you check things several times and still get the same result, and you then find it is the unit that your using that is wrong.
Done it with a multimeter getting wrong readings, internal battery was duff.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is horrible, when you check things several times and still get the same result, and you then find it is the unit that your using that is wrong.
Done it with a multimeter getting wrong readings, internal battery was duff.
When I get an issue like different readings, after some swearing and cursing, I leave the issue for a short while and do something else. I then go back, re-read the instructions and attempt the solution again as hopefully my head has cleared a bit.
Seems to work most times unless the instrument is faulty. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts