Appaphobic

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am an engineer, I know because I have a fully set of hammers.
I love technology, and how you can link things to work remotley, wether it be an electronic towel roll in a washroom, ( American term for a Pub Bog ) To flashing a bus pass. The heating turned on in your caravan, or in your house, limit less. Fantastic.
But, do we really need. ,
A Powerwasher that the power is controlled by your personal computers, they are not phones any more, . They are phones with more lenses than an South American Hunting spider. To take photos.
I cleaned my drive way today with a manual power washer then cleaned then spray splater off the car with a hose pipe. .
My mobile phone without was in the house.
A Company is now selling a Powerwasher that you control from my, your phone,, maybe your car cleaner , doesn't realise he /she is taking the paint off where the rust was forming.
Honestly do you need that.
Am I really that Apphobic.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fully agree Hutch.
I could not really believe that advert , but then again it is/was 1st April.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its not an April fools. See the companies website. I'm with you guys, cannot for the life in me see the point in it.

Its the same with all life, there is an app for everything. Many people would come apart at the seams without an app telling them to do this or that.

I recently had a conversation with my daughters, both scientists when I jokingly pulled them up about their spelling. I was told not to worry, people of their generation understand that nowadays spelling isn't important. I had to remind them that when they go for job interviews, they are very often scrutinized by people of my generation, i.e. those who understand correct grammar, punctuation and spelling, Wasted my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It's increasingly difficult for the likes of Apple and Samsung, to name just a couple, to have differentiators on their smartphone products.

The latest rumour is that the next generaton iPhone will have an app the resembles a numeric data pad and by entering a series of numbers you'll be able to talk to someone else on their iPhone or even landline. I can't see it catching on.

• Haha
Reactions: JTQ and Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Some washing machines can work from an App. Only of any use if the app can sort the washing, remembering to check all the pockets, put said washing into machine, put the washing liquid and fabric soften and close the door.
If all it does is switch the beggar on, well I can do that using the button on the machine once I have closed the door. That is far easier than closing the door, finding my phone, ( anyone seen my phone, can someone ring it please) getting past the passcode/fingerprint, finding the app, declining the adverts/cookies/ do u want to save your password and then pressing the button to turn it on.
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Some washing machines can work from an App. Only of any use if the app can sort the washing, remembering to check all the pockets, put said washing into machine, put the washing liquid and fabric soften and close the door.
If all it does is switch the beggar on, well I can do that using the button on the machine once I have closed the door. That is far easier than closing the door, finding my phone, ( anyone seen my phone, can someone ring it please) getting past the passcode/fingerprint, finding the app, declining the adverts/cookies/ do u want to save your password and then pressing the button to turn it on.
Mel
We do use the Miele app for us to tell us when the washing is finished. Otherwise of no use to us.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our washing machine just beeps to say it’s finished. But even that doesn’t necessarily elicit a response if we are doing something else, or out.
Refuse to be dominated by a piece of domestic hardware. 😂

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We are in the process of purchasing a new American style fridge freezer. Chances are it will connect to the phone. I will then be able to adjust the temp from anywhere in the world. (WOW). Also it will tell me if there is an alarm. eg its warming up. That might be of use, even if we are out of the country I could get someone to go round. That did happen about 15 plus years ago. We were having building work done and the electrician caused a problem which led to a power failure. The builder phoned me (after the weekend)! We were on a river cruise in the Ardennes.

I got my son to go round but little could be saved. Builders insurance then paid out.

My son has just purchased a Samsung connected oven, now that makes a bit more sense. His phone can control cooking programs which alter the temperature over time, cooking and browning etc. and ended up with keep warm.

Just now I am setting up a new printer. connected to PC, OK, connected to router OK, connected to my phone, iPad OK. wife's iPad not so lucky.

Tried to print a picture from my iPad. But instead it wanted to print onto the back of a CD!

Why is it never straight forward.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Hive app cannot be trusted when I take it to OFF from Schedule at 2130. Next day at 0730 there’s a 50/50 chance it will have flipped back to schedule desperately trying to achieve its controlled 18 deg C before I become aware of its transgression and turn it to OFF.
Makes no matter if it’s done using IPad or IPhone. It still want to default back to Schedule. Seems a well known bug and no amount of survey reports has sorted it. I suspect it’s a Centrica ploy to sell more gas.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We are in the process of purchasing a new American style fridge freezer. Chances are it will connect to the phone. I will then be able to adjust the temp from anywhere in the world. (WOW). Also it will tell me if there is an alarm. eg its warming up. That might be of use, even if we are out of the country I could get someone to go round. That did happen about 15 plus years ago. We were having building work done and the electrician caused a problem which led to a power failure. The builder phoned me (after the weekend)! We were on a river cruise in the Ardennes.

I got my son to go round but little could be saved. Builders insurance then paid out.

My son has just purchased a Samsung connected oven, now that makes a bit more sense. His phone can control cooking programs which alter the temperature over time, cooking and browning etc. and ended up with keep warm.

Just now I am setting up a new printer. connected to PC, OK, connected to router OK, connected to my phone, iPad OK. wife's iPad not so lucky.

Tried to print a picture from my iPad. But instead it wanted to print onto the back of a CD!

Why is it never straight forward.

John
We have a fridge freezer - the set temperature hasn't been altered in 30+ years - why would you need to change it, never mind change it by phone?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have a fridge freezer - the set temperature hasn't been altered in 30+ years - why would you need to change it, never mind change it by phone?

Absolutely. We are not choosing a new appliance because it is ‘connected’, just happens to come with it. But giving an alarm if the temperature rises is not such a bad thing.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I get texts now from the hospital, dentist , chemist etc telling me I have an appointment. What happened to the good old letter?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I get texts now from the hospital, dentist , chemist etc telling me I have an appointment. What happened to the good old letter?
My hospital appointments are emailed to me, with the appointment and details of who I'm seeing and why sent as an attached p.d.f.
I find it convenient, no having to keep hold of appointment letters because the details are all on my phone which I show to the receptionists

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We do use the Miele app for us to tell us when the washing is finished. Otherwise of no use to us.
Our washing machine beeps to notify its finished the cycle, this wakes the dog up, he then barks to tell us he wants out, I get up to let him out, then back in, make a cup of tea for SWMBO, take it upstairs, I then need a Pee, 20 second washing hands . Reciting Wash Wash, wash your hands wash the germs away otherer wise you might get Ill and that will spoil your day.
Just about to get back,into bed, and wife rolls over and lovingly says, "is it time to get up then ".

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can still ask to be contacted by letter. My BIL in Coventry cannot use his phone for anything other than calls out or in. So my wife asked his health center to only write to him with anything relating to appointments or test results etc. This they do very well. But it’s more expensive of resources and the postage than text.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
And of course, lock your car with an App. Go shopping Ring a mate whilst having lunch to make sure he is nowhere near you and his wife are
Get to the hotel to find your phone is dead, and can't get an afternoon room, Can't drop her off to her car because you cannot unlock your car.
Sod that get the caravan serviced every three months.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
And of course, lock your car with an App. Go shopping Ring a mate whilst having lunch to make sure he is nowhere near you and his wife are
Get to the hotel to find your phone is dead, and can't get an afternoon room, Can't drop her off to her car because you cannot unlock your car.
Sod that get the caravan serviced every three months.
I will be in Deep doo doo, if Mrs H, love of my life, see this post.
Its all Theoretical but, possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts