Beginning to lose patients with the forums text editing and posting.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I know that others have had problems with nicknames and signing on, and a few have mentioned the verification process when trying to post. Up until now I have not had the problems with these particular issues, but the situation is changing.
I normally leave my PC on standby rather than full close down, and this usually leaves my access to PC Forum logged in. But for no clear reason, I have recently found that on a number of occasions I have been signed out.
The posting character verification is also becoming very annoying. It is totally inconsistent, sometimes It asks for it and sometimes it doesn’t! And when posting it takes so long for the system to decide if its going to ask for verification or not you can loose the will to live!
Apart from these recent issues I have a longer term problem: Unlike others for some reason I have been having problems with extra character strings appearing in my postings, that others can see but I don’t. This raised two questions, firstly why do my posts seem to produce these extra characters, and secondly why is it I don’t see them and others do.
The only time I see them is when someone quotes them back to me as part of their posting.
What I do note is the character strings seem to be text formatting, and they also seem to appear at points in my text where I set new paragraphs or have made changes or corrections. I have tried number methods, and the only one that seems to have a measure of success is also so time consuming and frustrating, I’m sure there must be a better way.
I run the forum on two machines using Windows XP and windows VISTA. I normally use Google Chrome as my preferred browser, as it has a built in spell check.
For short simple responses I use the forums own text procreation window with rich text enabled, and even some of these posts apparently produce extra charaters.
I currently prepare longer texts using MS word (2003) with spelling and grammar help. This enables me to skip back through the thread to check for details not contained in the last post. Once satisfied with the edited text I cut and paste it to the forum text window with the rich text disabled. I then have to go through the text to remove all extraneous characters, Preview it, which usually looses all paragraph and new line instructions. I then have to re edit it with rich-text enabled to re instate the new line points and then post.
I then sometimes encounter the phantom verification spectre – ARGGGG.
If anyone has any sensible constructive suggestions about how I can prevent the extraneous characters please respond.
<

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi John
I emailed Austin who is a member of the technical staff at Haymarket Towers and he's resolved the issue of you having to fill in the verification before posting so you shouldn't have any further problems on that score.
Austin had a look at what you wrote about the strings of text and he said that the problem is complicated because you are using an old version of Word which is notoriously bad for formatting. He replied that if you want to format your posts outside of the forum's own window he recommends using Textpad or similar.
If you still wish to use Word to help with formatting Austin recommends pasting from word to Textpad which would lose the formatting text before posting onto the forum with the rich text enabled.

If any other forum members have problems when they submit posts because they have to fill in the affirmation box (the box with letters or numbers) please let me know either by adding a post to this section of the forum or by using the 'contact a moderator link' and I'll ask the technical guys to help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Parksy,

Thanks for your proactive action.

I was not aware that MS word 2003 was known to have bad formatting issues, I shall try using another word processor, such as textpad or open office. I sahll ask for feedback so I can acertain the best choice for me.

Incidentally I was following another thread and it led me to a camping forum not related to PC, where a contributor seems to suffer the same problem of extra characters.

Its abit of a nightmare if you have no inkling that its happeneing.

This was prepared in the forums own text window with rich-text enabled

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit that I've never seen any evidence of text formatting strings in your posts John, perhaps you have to be virtually physic to be able to see there mysterious objects
smiley-laughing.gif

When I need to spell check I just disable rich text and then preview before submitting.
I still manage to get it wrong sometimes though
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nope,,,,,,you dont have to be psychic to see the added bits in Johns postings, here is just a copy of a bit of one on Generators:

<!--[endif]--><!--[endif]-->
In some cases the radio can use modest amounts of power even when apparently turned off. This is used to keep the station memory active. A portable radio with its own batteries may be an alternative solution and you could then completely disconnect the internal radio.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->

The other problem I can foresee is the way you are trying to recharge your caravan’s internal battery. The system you are using has several in efficiencies, which means your caravan battery is unlikely to be properly recharged. For various inefficiencies in inverters, chargers, and the ability of a battery to retain power used to charge it, you will be doing very well if you get anything close to 40% of the cars battery energy transferred to the caravan battery.

With the above in mind, your systems is not giving you the best performance.

I know I am not psychic,,,,,,,,,,,I think

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Parksy. You asked if anyone else was having to do the captcha thing before submitting. I never used to but it has popped up on a few of my most recent posts.
Thanks mel.
PS I could see John's formatting info as well. Also gifted. I'll see if Doris Stokes is in.
smiley-wink.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mel
I'll get in touch with 'the other side' in the morning
blueglow.gif

I'll email the technical guys at Haymarket Towers and they will sort out the problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Damian,

I know that you have commented previously about the extra characters in my posts. The piece you have copied above is another example of the phenomena, and try as i might I cannot get the same out put on my screens.

I have found this application on Google Chrome called Write space.

It appears to be a very basic text editor with no bells or whistles, other than the chrome based spell checker.

My typing is far from good these days, and I need to regularly go back and correct mistakes, and have done so already on this document, so lets see if there are any hidden characters.

Please copy this back in a post.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,
#Well, it seems you have found an answer, here is your last post as it appears:

Hello Damian,

I know that you have commented previously about the extra characters in my posts. The piece you have copied above is another example of the phenomena, and try as i might I cannot get the same out put on my screens.

I have found this application on Google Chrome called Write space.

It appears to be a very basic text editor with no bells or whistles, other than the chrome based spell checker.

My typing is far from good these days, and I need to regularly go back and correct mistakes, and have done so already on this document, so lets see if there are any hidden characters.

Please copy this back in a post.

No problems at all with that one.
The strange thing is, none of your posts in this thread suffered with the added bits, but other threads did,,,,,,how strange is that?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Damain,

Thanks for reposting my last post. It seems I have found a solution, and hopefully it will cause no more extra characters.

The reason that my posts in this thread may not have had extra bits, is that I meticulously used the none rich text settings to weed out all extraneous characters before posting, Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees, I missed the spelling mistake in the title of this this thread, it should have been "beginning" not begging!!!

For anyone using Google Chrome,I find that "Write Space" (a google app.) is a simple and effective word processor for preparing text for postings, and best of all its free.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Prof John L said:
....Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees, I missed the spelling mistake in the title of this this thread, it should have been "beginning" not begging!!!.............
I hate to mention it John but the title contains two spelling mistakes.

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Should be fixed for both of you now - apologies. If anyone else has problems, please mail Parksy to ask to be placed in our 'unmoderated users' group, which always avoids the captcha. I say Parksy rather than me directly because he'll be in a better position to say whether you can be trusted - remember: with great power comes great responsibility...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for that John, I was just composing an email to Haymarket Towers and you beat me to it
smiley-laughing.gif

Now can you have a look at the problem with Caravan Finder that I asked about please? Pretty please?? With a cherry on the top???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts