Bothersome dog!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Brian, It has been proven with many years of research which breed of dogs are a danger to he public. most domestic dogs have no record what so ever of any atacks on any human being as we are seen as too big to tackle and the dog regards us as superior, however theire is a register of dangerous breeds that have a record of attacks and the dogs on this register are required by law to be permanently on a lead and muzzled in a public area even where most dogs are allowed to run off the lead, these breeds are also as i am sure you know banned from most caravan sites. Brian, my next comment is in no way directed at you or your children as i have never meet you but in the 30 years that i have been around dogs non of them have ever been agresive to any other human being but we have on occasions had to intervene in a barking fit as some fool tries to wind up the dogs. most dogs will react to noise with a bark and if a child runs screaming and shouting becouse a dog is within sight then the dog will bark and if the dog is off the lead it will run as it considers the noise to be a game. the parents of these so called terified kids need to take a reality check and teach the kids correctly then maybee they will not be so scared, some dogs are dangerous not all, same as some breed of cat are dangerous and some humans are dangerous. personally i can not see the attraction to any of the registered dangerous breeds as they can be a pain in the proverbial so i will stick to my cavalier king charles spaniels which have trouble chewing theire meat never mind another human.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian - that is very sad - as someone who really believes that "A dog is for life - not just Christmas" I cannot understand how anyone can make the commitment to having a dog and then just pack it up and give it away?

And before the "nit pickers" get all bitter and twisted the above quote is from Dog-Trust (was the NCDL) and is not meant to infer that you got your dog originaly as a Christmas gift.

I think your child probably has a higher probability of being mugged for his mobile phone than being "mauled by a dog".

You may like to consider that as such a dog can be a pretty good deterent. I also consider that my children now 19 and 22 grew up to be better people because they where brought up to care for a canine member of our family.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian, It has been proven with many years of research which breed of dogs are a danger to he public. most domestic dogs have no record what so ever of any atacks on any human being as we are seen as too big to tackle and the dog regards us as superior, however theire is a register of dangerous breeds that have a record of attacks and the dogs on this register are required by law to be permanently on a lead and muzzled in a public area even where most dogs are allowed to run off the lead, these breeds are also as i am sure you know banned from most caravan sites. Brian, my next comment is in no way directed at you or your children as i have never meet you but in the 30 years that i have been around dogs non of them have ever been agresive to any other human being but we have on occasions had to intervene in a barking fit as some fool tries to wind up the dogs. most dogs will react to noise with a bark and if a child runs screaming and shouting becouse a dog is within sight then the dog will bark and if the dog is off the lead it will run as it considers the noise to be a game. the parents of these so called terified kids need to take a reality check and teach the kids correctly then maybee they will not be so scared, some dogs are dangerous not all, same as some breed of cat are dangerous and some humans are dangerous. personally i can not see the attraction to any of the registered dangerous breeds as they can be a pain in the proverbial so i will stick to my cavalier king charles spaniels which have trouble chewing theire meat never mind another human.
Well said

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi CliveV

Hope you are well ! I dont know if you have seen my conversation with Lisa regards my rehoming my Great Dane ? It absolutely BROKE my heart to do,but to keep him would have been selfish and cruel on the dog.When I got him I was 100% commited to him,but peoples lives and circumstances change and we cannot predict the future,I believe I did the best for my dog, I went through a great Dane rescue,I visited his new home and I can ring anytime I like(I choose not to),please dont make out I am a fickle hearless person, I had no choice!

Tina x

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Tina, Please explain to me what you mean by "did they have a new car and caravan", I ask since i have a 1 month old tow car and a three month old van and i also have two very well behaved cavalier king charles spaniels that only bark if somebody invades there space, one being a ***** the other a dog. whilst on site i am usually the first to offer my help if it is required and i always make the effort to speak to others, i am by no means a veteran caravaner having only been in the hobby for six years and i would find it quite distressing if i turned up on site to find somebody wondering if we are the ones to which you refer esspecially since from previous conversations i seem to remember that we live not too far apart. i must be a little slow today as i really can not see how a new car and caravan can result in a barking dog, in our case they are the product of two hard working people who would rather have the car and van than waste 4 grand a year on two weeks in ibiza.
Hi Icemaker

Sorry it was a sarcastic reply to Ann because she said if a new car and van pulled up next to you on site with kids there would be trouble!like you I have a new outfit and kids so took it personally, me and Ann are friends now though !!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina

Sincere appologies if you thought I was "having a go" at anyone who has to give up a dog. Of course there are circumstances when this has to happen.

Our oldest dog came from the NSDL as was because his owner died.

Our 2 year old came to us because she injurred her leg and as a working dog could no longer work or complete her training.

Thank God we have never had to give one of our pets up.

My issue was, as Icemaker puts so well, that children and pets are synergistic not antagonistic.

I vividly remember our first dog (now dead some years) going from room to room checking all was well then laying at the top of the stairs when the children went to bed. Both my boys new she was there for them and felt better for it.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Icemaker,I find it interesting that someone with your experience with dogs can say that"most dogs will react to a child screaming and if off the lead will consider the noise to be game".Now there is a problem here,how does a dog know the difference between children screeming at play or in genuine fear as it bounds towards them?You also say that humans are "to big a tackle" I think a small child probably would not fall into this generalization. And lastly to blame the parents for their "so called" terrified kids ,lets see..Children play ,making noise, dog off lead runs over to them , child reacts by running away,screaming,whatever,dog thinks child is pray and bites child, childs parents are to blame....no,sorry, lost me on that one

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

The only way your scenario could happen is if the dog was unsupervised. Domesticated Dogs do not see humans - young or old as "prey".

If you have a pack of wild dogs then yes that is a REAL problem and from what I understand strays in the UK can form packs but they are pretty soon dealt with by the authorities.

I would like to see an annual Dog Licence of at least

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Brian, it is difficult to explain to people who have little understanding of animal behaviour but i was trying to explain that most dogs will accept a person shouting in the animals direction as an invitation to play, most children if genuinely scared of the dog will stand and scream at the dog then turn and run, this would be seen as a game of chase by the dog who would run after the child and probably try to lick them to death rather than bite them, after all the child did nothing to harm the dog other than shout it so why should it bite ?. No child should be affraid of a dog they should be educated by theire parents that if they do not wish for dogs to a part of theire life then they should be confident enough to ask the owner to restrain the dog whilst the child leaves the area to somewhere dogs are not permitted, if the child draws attention from the dog by screaming then the dog will react, it is how they have been domesticated by us humans. as for the child being smaller than the dog this is not really valid as my 3 year old neice has full convidence to controll our dogs as should any other young child, a firm NO is all it takes. which brings me once again to why i blame the parents for lack of education, all children should know that we as humans are the superior race and as such the child should not show any fear to any animal, just like the school bully an animal will react to fear the difference being the bully will hurt you the dog will smother you in slobber. Ps there are many caravan sites that do not allow dogs at all so the few families with scared kids are catered for.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Clive the idea of a licence is something that all responsible dog owners agree on including me as it would surely remove the impulse buyer. when we had a litter of pubs we vetted every potential owner and visited theire homes to check suitability we also made them sign a form stating they would not breed off the dogs and that they would have them neutered and spayed, on top of this each dog was sold for 450 pounds to ensure the potential owners really wanted one of our dogs. we felt that by having these measures in place we where doing our bit to stop the unwanted litres of dogs being given away to unsuitable homes.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mikes wife joining in!

We've just come back from the CC site at Pandy Abergavenny. As with CC sites you are informed that you must keep your dogs on leads and a well placed notice reminds dog owners to do so. However there is always someone who ignores this, in fact several someones. One lady took her dog to the toilet block and left it outside wandering around. Whilst the dog didn't wander very far and seemed quiet and well behaved that is hardly the point. If there is a rule about dogs being in leads why can't everyone comply. If questioned these people tend to reply that there dog is elderly/well behaved/doesn't stray. If someone is frightened of dogs than the sight of one wandering about untended is the stuff of nightmares how ever well behaved the dog is. There was also some yapping and barking going on, but thankfully not at night. Yes I am a dog lover and owner. Our two Golden Retrievers come on holidays with us and are firmly on a lead at all times. We have returned to caravanning this year and have so far managed three short trips in the van. This has been a totally new experience for the dogs and they have behaved very well. They are not dozy quiet dogs, but are generally full of beans and ready for the next walk NOW! but we keep them under control and don't let them bark. Both dogs have been taught to toilet on command and we clear up after them. Its only considerate. and I think this is where the answer lies. Its a lack of consideration for others that is causing these problems and not just about dogs. Intrestingly, on our last day as we were packing up, a collie cross was wandering about the camp site with no obvious owner. A man eventually tried to encourage the dog to him, who was very reluctant to approach, but the man was able to get close enough to manage to grab its collar receiving a *** on his arm for his troubles. It turned out the dog was from a farm up the road and had been on site earlier in the week!! Please dog owners, keep your dogs on leads and consider others particularly those who don't like dogs, then, hopefully, dogs won't be banned from sites. Is that too much to ask?

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Please don't get the idea that myself or my children are terrified of dogs, this simply is not the case. The problem I have is that I have seen a child being bitten on the face by a dog, thankfully only a small cut. This was a Retriever on a lead walking along a busy seafront. The child aged about 3-4 had put his hand out to stroke the dog as it passed.If it can take this small amount for a dog to react I think that is enough to make it compulsory for all dogs to be muzzled when in public areas.As for Clive's comment that the problem is wild dogs well Im sorry but I think we can all recall stories of children being attacked by 'the family pet' and in most cases a dog they have grown up with.As for'it could only happen if the dog was unsupervised'how supervised exactly is a dog running free in the forest,out of sight of its owners ?.Having a

I don`t agree about muzzling i`m afraid unless the dog needs to be. The case with the retreiver and the child is a classic case of unsupervised child and not dog. I was bought up never to touch a strange dog and bought my son up to do the same. I`m going to be new to caravaning soon and was a bit worried about 1 of my dogs being accepted because of her breed but after reading this thread i`ve another worry as my van will be brand new. Do people really look down on others because of the age of car or van they have?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive the idea of a licence is something that all responsible dog owners agree on including me as it would surely remove the impulse buyer. when we had a litter of pubs we vetted every potential owner and visited theire homes to check suitability we also made them sign a form stating they would not breed off the dogs and that they would have them neutered and spayed, on top of this each dog was sold for 450 pounds to ensure the potential owners really wanted one of our dogs. we felt that by having these measures in place we where doing our bit to stop the unwanted litres of dogs being given away to unsuitable homes.
Quite right Icemaker.

And I like your freudian slip!

A litter of Pubs - now theres an idea!!

Regards

Clive

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Jackie or Steve,I didn't make it clear in my posting but the child was actually holding his mothers hand,how much more supervision do you expect? Don't be deterred by the comments about new vans its only jealousy on their part .If thats what you want and can afford ,go for it..Brian.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Oh NO !!! Jackie/steve !! do you have children ? do you have a dog? do you have a 4x4 ? do you smoke ? do you have a new car ? do you have a new caravan ? do you have an old car ? do you have an old caravan, are you good looking,ugly,fat thin, big tits little tits (jackie) you will never ever fit in no matter what you have ? Be yourself, be proud and enjoy !!!!!!! xxx

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jackie and steven, most sites will not allow any of the breeds that are on the dangerous breed register to stay on site so if you have one of these breeds always tell the site and check if they accept them. the comment by tina regarding new cars and vans also upset me as i have a new car and van but it has since turned out that Tina was in fact having a little dig at another forum user who appears to have a problem with new cars and vans(nobody seems to know why). i would not worry about it, buy your van and enjoy the life it will bring you. From what i have read over the years on this forum i think i must be one of the most hated caravanners living, i used to have a 4x4 i now have a new car i also have a new caravan i have a new awning that matches the van i have two children two dogs, i put up windbreaks i enjoy barbecues and having a beer outside the van after ten at night i frequent commerciall sites as much as club sites and i,m a little too cheerfull for some first thing in the morning. oh well at least im happy whilst others pull theire face at my family having a good time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good points Jackie&Steve.

I think it also worth noting that the trauma of being "dumped" "given away" or put in rescue kennels is very real for most dogs and DOES affect them badly. Those of us that take on rescue dogs know how hard it can be to rebuild trust.

The problem that Brian states was clearly the unsupervised child. You do NOT allow your child to run up to a moving car, play in the road, hang out of an upstairs window etc etc.

So why is it the dogs fault when a child is allowed to run up to it? It was on a lead and under control. Shame the child wasn't.

As for the supervision issue - all play areas are, I think, designated "dog free zones" and quite right to. So if your children are in an area where dogs are - surely it is the role of the owner to have his dog under control and so to the parent to have his child under control.

Sadly we see it every year in the New Forest where children get kicked and bitten by an irate pony. Sometimes the holidaymakers call for the poor thing to be destroyed but of course the Ponies have a greater right to be on the Forest than we do. And the warning signs are quite clear.

But of course good sense, like rules - only apply to some people not others.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jackie and steven, most sites will not allow any of the breeds that are on the dangerous breed register to stay on site so if you have one of these breeds always tell the site and check if they accept them. the comment by tina regarding new cars and vans also upset me as i have a new car and van but it has since turned out that Tina was in fact having a little dig at another forum user who appears to have a problem with new cars and vans(nobody seems to know why). i would not worry about it, buy your van and enjoy the life it will bring you. From what i have read over the years on this forum i think i must be one of the most hated caravanners living, i used to have a 4x4 i now have a new car i also have a new caravan i have a new awning that matches the van i have two children two dogs, i put up windbreaks i enjoy barbecues and having a beer outside the van after ten at night i frequent commerciall sites as much as club sites and i,m a little too cheerfull for some first thing in the morning. oh well at least im happy whilst others pull theire face at my family having a good time.
Hi Icemaker !

I ,m with you on this one (sorry for the misunderstanding,I too have new outfit ) HAVE FUN, life is so so short,ignore others who try and bring you down and experience a good life while you can !!! (god I sound like an old hippy!) xxx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jackie or Steve,I didn't make it clear in my posting but the child was actually holding his mothers hand,how much more supervision do you expect? Don't be deterred by the comments about new vans its only jealousy on their part .If thats what you want and can afford ,go for it..Brian.
If the child was holding its Mothers hand then why oh why did the silly woman not pull the child back and then explain to the child the correct way to approach any animal - not just a dog.

If you were happily walking along the street and someone sudenly lurched at you what would your reaction be?

Sorry Brian - it is still a lack of supervision. Holding the Mothers hand just makes it worse!

Brian i understand now. Perhaps that`s a bit of wrong on both the dog owner(As they should know their dog) and the childs parents for letting their child get close enough to touch the dog. I really don`t know so won`t argue either way. I know my dogs and if i thought there was any chance whatsoever that they`d snap i wouldnt let them near a child of adult for that matter that`s why i think the owners should of known what the dog was like.

Jackie

Tina I`m not sure there`s much hope for me then :)) lol

I don`t have children(well only a son of 17 so not really a child as such)but i do have 2 dogs i smoke and like a glass of wine.

Cars not new but the van will be. I don`t have a 4x4 though should i get one lol lol

I`ll be myself as i can`t be anything else :) I think i get on with everyone so if they don`t ike me there`s not much i can do :(

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Oh NO !!! Jackie/steve !! do you have children ? do you have a dog? do you have a 4x4 ? do you smoke ? do you have a new car ? do you have a new caravan ? do you have an old car ? do you have an old caravan, are you good looking,ugly,fat thin, big tits little tits (jackie) you will never ever fit in no matter what you have ? Be yourself, be proud and enjoy !!!!!!! xxx
wish I had that prob!

Hi Icemaker

My dogs not on the dangerous dog list but 1 is a Rottweiler so i know we`re going to come up against a few that will distriminate.

As for bbq`s a few beers and a *** outside your van after 10 i just hope we pitch next to you :) I`m very considerate to others when it comes to noise and my dogs but surely people don`t complain about you sitting outside your own van after 10 having a drink?

Hi Clive,

I fully agree about having your dog under control and dogs not being allowed in play areas. I`d never dream of taking my dogs near play areas let alone letting them off. Like you say it`s a shame when a animal suffers because of human error so to speak :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts