Cost of sites in 2022!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On some other caravan forums people are moaning about the huge jump in the cost of a pitch per night from the cost in 2021. However it must be remembered that we have already seen a huge price increase in the cost of electric and another increase is expected in April 2022. People run campsites to make a profit and not out of the goodness of their hearts.
We do not like the increases, but can understand why some campsites have increased their prices as other costs have also risen i.e. fuel for grass gutting, gas, cleaning agents plus this year we are paying the full VAT rate and not the previous lower rate which I think was about 12%.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do think some site owners do run the site because they genuinely enjoy doing it, but its its operating as a standalone business, then yes it does have to show a profit otherwise it wont be open long.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree why prices are increasing. The question for the country is when will the bubble burst? Apologies to the Greens but let’s open up the Shetland and North Sea Oil / gas fields and give us all a breather😜

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fully agree why prices are increasing. The question for the country is when will the bubble burst? Apologies to the Greens but let’s open up the Shetland and North Sea Oil / gas fields and give us all a breather😜
I don’t understand your thinking. UK already produces 50% of its own gas so given that amount why aren’t domestic prices lower? Opening up more fields still would not necessarily drive prices down. Our gas sells on the world market. The only way it could be sold here more cheaply would be to nationalise the industry. That went down well in. Venezuela.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/gas-statistics

Things are even better for oil where we produce a larger proportion of our daily consumption. But again it’s sold at market prices.

https://www.worldometers.info/oil/uk-oil/

Opening up more fields wouldn’t affect the prices but could give more supply security. But so far UK hasn’t been restricted for supplies.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I don’t understand your thinking. UK already produces 50% of its own gas so given that amount why aren’t domestic prices lower? Opening up more fields still would not necessarily drive prices down. Our gas sells on the world market. The only way it could be sold here more cheaply would be to nationalise the industry. That went down well in. Venezuela.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/gas-statistics

Things are even better for oil where we produce a larger proportion of our daily consumption. But again it’s sold at market prices.

https://www.worldometers.info/oil/uk-oil/

Opening up more fields wouldn’t affect the prices but could give more supply security. But so far UK hasn’t been restricted for supplies.
Are we on the same planet? Why are our fuel prices rising so high that many people can’t afford to stay warm. Diesel and petrol still rising. Stateside gas tankers destined for Asia being diverted to the UK . The Ruskies whacking up the prices. Whoa . We have left ourselves exposed to other countries less amiable to us determining our fuel bills. That cannot be right??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are very few countries that are entirely self sufficient for all energy sources, thus the UK is not alone being affected by the world market prices, and the commercial reactions to supply and demand.

Its the insatiable demand for energy by some users and greed of few major energy suppliers that is driving the price rises.

But this has been said elswhere and is off this threads topic.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid it looks like the same inflation that is affecting everything else and possibly some sites needing to compensate for earlier closures. Possibly it will see the introduction of more metered sites if electricity is the main problem.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....well we are going to a Kent CMHC club site for the last week in January for £19.50/ night and the club is still giving a VAT reduction.
No deposit required and IMO very good value especially as we will probably use £3-4 of electricity per day.

I do agree prices per night are set to rise considerably.. :(

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
.....well we are going to a Kent CMHC club site for the last week in January for £19.50/ night and the club is still giving a VAT reduction.
No deposit required and IMO very good value especially as we will probably use £3-4 of electricity per day.

I do agree prices per night are set to rise considerably.. :(
We've just booked our CLs for the year - one of them advised that charges will be reviewed every 3 months and reserve the right to change - there's obviously great uncertainty over ongoing energy costs - and of course all other costs are going up fast.

I don't know if the Ofgem price cap applies to businesses or just retail customers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am looking at a three day fair in July and a grass pitch no electric is £125, and with electric is £215. You would have to go some to use £90 of electric in three nights, but I guess it’s the cost of installing the facility too. Daily visit entrance fees are on top of the camping charges.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am looking at a three day fair in July and a grass pitch no electric is £125, and with electric is £215. You would have to go some to use £90 of electric in three nights, but I guess it’s the cost of installing the facility too. Daily visit entrance fees are on top of the camping charges.
Electrics at festival sites have always been expensive - but when you look at the amount of temporary infrastructure it's not surprising - and the electric pitches usually sell out first! We used to do the Dunsfold Wings & Wheels show for which an electric pitch was £75 for 3 nights whereas the Cropedy Folk Festival was just £35 for a non-electric pitch, again for 3 nights.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CL near Harrogate booked for early March £20 per night electric via a coin meter. Last October our electric bill was £1.50 a day.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Here in Cornwall there are Solar fields and wind farms, so much for cheap renewables.
Up here in Scotland we have more windmills than people or so it seems sometimes. Makes no difference though, as it all goes into the National Grid and comes out at the same price as everything else.

Reactions: Darren.H
Jan 28, 2022
Visit site
I wonder if all the new renewable energy being produced over the next 5-10 years will reduce some of these costs in the long run, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if all the new renewable energy being produced over the next 5-10 years will reduce some of these costs in the long run, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Taking a rather cynical view, I don't thing pitch fees will reduce, its a bit like a ratchet effect, once the public have got used to higher prices, there is little incentive for businesses to reduce them.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Taking a rather cynical view, I don't thing pitch fees will reduce, its a bit like a ratchet effect, once the public have got used to higher prices, there is little incentive for businesses to reduce them.
Perfectly true. At the end of the day you have the final say and if you cannot accept one sites price, you will usually find a cheaper one if you look. Prices will only come down if people vote with their wallet and do not use a site in the numbers they need.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perfectly true. At the end of the day you have the final say and if you cannot accept one sites price, you will usually find a cheaper one if you look. Prices will only come down if people vote with their wallet and do not use a site in the numbers they need.
What we have found is that with commercial sites they may offer 7 nights for price of 6, discount for over 60s' etc whereas CAMC it is a case of take it or leave it.
In many cases we have found commercial sites of the same standard as CAMC to be slightly cheaper for more amenities i.e. fully serviced pitches.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What we have found is that with commercial sites they may offer 7 nights for price of 6, discount for over 60s' etc whereas CAMC it is a case of take it or leave it.
In many cases we have found commercial sites of the same standard as CAMC to be slightly cheaper for more amenities i.e. fully serviced pitches.

CMHC do make offers, if you look at their website there is a range, such as mid week discounts, children go free, grass pitch non electric etc. through 2022. Plus the reduced VAT rate is still in place.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
CMHC do make offers, if you look at their website there is a range, such as mid week discounts, children go free, grass pitch non electric etc. through 2022. Plus the reduced VAT rate is still in place.
The midweek discount used to only apply to the pitch fee, not the per person fee - maybe still does - only a small % discount when staying for a week.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The midweek discount used to only apply to the pitch fee, not the per person fee - maybe still does - only a small % discount when staying for a week.
A penny saved is still a saving as my grandmother would remind me. I did not go into the whole detail.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A penny saved is still a saving as my grandmother would remind me. I did not go into the whole detail.
When we go away due to high price of fuel we prefer to be away for at least 7 days and mid week discount is only from Monday night to Thursday night so not much of a saving, but as you say a saving. That is of course if you are lucky enough to be able to book 7 days on a CAMC site. :D

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The club pricing structure does seem to take no account of local prices and looks high in some areas and low in others. It is probably a bit over average overall but you do get a certain standard. We do know what we want and are lucky enough to be able to pay a bit more for this, but do appreciate for some people the bottom line is very important.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We going away for six days on CLs and CS this season and have book a hardstanding fully service pitch Sun - Friday prices have started from £18 per night to £28 but these requirements suit my needs

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The club pricing structure does seem to take no account of local prices and looks high in some areas and low in others. It is probably a bit over average overall but you do get a certain standard. We do know what we want and are lucky enough to be able to pay a bit more for this, but do appreciate for some people the bottom line is very important.

Some of the main reasons for us using commercial sites is that many seem to be better located, offer fully serviced pitches with water and waste water hookups plus of course the discounts and flexibility. :D
The CAMC do have nice sites so no argument there, but many are located in way out places and not within easy walking distance of a town. We have never had a bad experience on a CAMC site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts