five weeks in la manga

G

Kev,

I was surprised nobody has yet answered your enquiry as La Manga is a wellknown site, so felt I can only give you the benefit of our experience.

Firstly let me state that we have never done a Rally at La Manga, or basically anywhere else, although I gather that many people thoroughly enjoy it and book every year. However, we visited in the beginning of May about a week after the end of the 2009/10 Rally, so saw things in a completely different light. We had pre-booked La Manga for 4 weeks but left after 8 days just as soon as we found another site.

La Manga is a very large site split into 2 halves. On the west side are all the touring pitches and there are very many of them indeed. Fields of them it sometimes seemed, and on the other side is what is politely known as ‘the ghetto’ which is mainly Spanish outfits permanently parked. They are in the main well looked after but of course have many outside fittings and fixtures defining permanency. During the high season they are all occupied and things get very hectic, so we were told. During winter time they are empty, except weekends and at that time the touring pitches are full. After the Rally has finished the touring fields look like ghost towns with many being completely empty. Fortunately we were assigned, as you get no ‘choice’ to a pitch close to several Brits who either live there permanently, or much of the year. So there were about 10 of us in one part, but masses of empty space elsewhere. If you get any choice in pitch then push to get as near to the water as you can, as this seemed to be the more desirable end. Also try to keep away from the western edge as the wind blows very strongly from Murcia over the plain to the site. The site is a focal point for windsurfers, and we soon found out why. The residents have very strong storm guides on their awnings and we had to take ours down twice due to wind. The wind blows for most of the time and the ‘residents’ all have big windbreaks around their outfits. The pitches are all gravel and dust so the wind tends to lift this without barriers. Also if you wish to put a windbreak into the ground you need a sledgehammer and very strong pegs as the ground is rock hard. I borrowed such items from one of our neighbours and then discovered that the windbreak was literally cemented into the ground and I had to wash it out. Not really conducive to a ‘peaceful’ holiday. There is also a large community of what we humorously called the ‘geriatric hippies’. Basically elderly people, of various nationalities living in large 5th wheelers or US motorhomes. Of course, when you have an outfit of 35 feet in length or more, then you are virtually self sufficient and can avoid any ‘lapses’ in the site facilities, of which there were a few. The toilet blocks are ok, but nothing like what we had kinda expected, and poor for the average in Spain. The washing machines we heard are running 24 hours per day when the Rally is on, so get up early to do your wash. Evidently some female ‘wars’ were often observed deciding who had first call on the machines. Male partners were usually seen drinking beer and discussing who would win. However, in our 'ghost' time this was never an issue. The ‘hippies’ seemed to occupy most of the pitches alongside the central road areas. Nothing against that at all, it was just that we had never seen so many in one place before. A bit like a US Trailer Park. Did look for Confederate flags but did not see too many. They all seemed to be enjoying life so who can blame them?

The site itself is based along the shore of the lagoon that has been man made by building the La Manga Strip which is basically a very long causeway closing off the bay and is covered with high rise blocks. During high season it is a cross between Benidorm and Blackpool, outwith it is dead. At the north end there is connection to the sea and also through a small channel but basically the lagoon is landlocked, so the water is usally warmer than the sea. It is very shallow at the site and you can wade out a 100 yards or more and still be only waist deep. However we were a little concerned regarding water quality due to the lack of connection to the sea., and all the high rise blocks. Birds love the area. However in winter unless you are really keen, this will not affect you. The widsurfers all wear wet suits anyway. There is also a ‘social club’ at the water’s edge where we learned the Ralliers have social evenings of Bingo and games etc, all evidently very popular. It is basically a bar/restaurant building with a smallish tearrace along the front. What we did notice was that there was a pretty bad litter problem again mainly due to the wind and tables were often left ‘dirty’ for long periods. Again the Rally may run things differently. It just seemed very lackadaisical in May. However, I can also state that much of the problem was due to campers who obviously felt there was no reason to return their empty glasses to the bar, someone else’s job no doubt and this is not restricted to La Manga as many will agree. There are also bars along the seafront which evidently serve cheap fish and chips, or so we were advised. Local supermarkets stock lots of UK style foods.

Unfortunately, our conclusion was the site was looking distinctly jaded and going downhill. We heard through the local ‘gossip’ that many of the Spanish ‘residents’ had not paid their fees for a number of years and the backlog was substantial. We also were told, again just gossip, that the C&CC were a bit lethargic in paying for the Rally so the site evidently had a serious cash flow problem. We cannot comment on the veracity of any of this, merely that it was going the ‘rounds’. However, with the wind and what we felt were poor facilities was just too much for us to take for 4 weeks, and also the emptiness of large parts of the site made us decide to move. The indoor pool was closed and the outdoor one was freezing and empty. It was a shame really as we had gone there on the basis of a recommendation, but met a number of other caravanners subsequently who had also taken it off their list of sites to visit. We relocated along the coast about 30 miles to a delightful site with excellent facilities, and cheaper in cost.

If you enjoy the Rally lifestyle and are in a group of friends then many of the points we have raised will not be an issue for you. And as mentioned, it is subscribed heavily each year. But as a touring destination I am afraid there are very much better in that part of Spain.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Phew Scotch Lad. One to avoid. I must say having driven past it a few times it reminded me of the vast sites on the outskirts of Skegness or such. Any hint as to where you relocated please.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only totally agree with Scotch Lad's assessment of the La Manga site. We also visited in May, in 2007, and were really disappointed with the site, and the area, for the reasons outlined by Scotch Lad. I would also add that the bar and restaurant down by the "lake" was unkempt and expensive. That said the reception staff were friendly and helpfull.

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
We went a few years ago, from new year, cutting short a months stay after three weeks. We were not with the rally, but pitched right next to it. I have to admit they all seemed to enjoy themselves, and were very friendly. There was a bar, come clubroom, near the rally site that we all used. It was packed new years eve, and on quiz nights. We found the whole area around La Manga not very pretty, quite scrubby.
I have to agree with most of what Scotch Lad said, and to add, that the large car park that you walk through to the shops was covered in dogs mess.
we moved on to cap blanch in altea, what a good move.

G

To reply to 'Mike J E 's question we moved to the other side of Cartagena to Puerto do Mazzaron to a site called Los Madrilles.
http://campinglosmadriles.com/
It is excellent and very well run. The owner is quite strict and I am afraid no dogs are allowed. He also has a 'one strike and you are out' policy so there is none of the sometimes annoying things you can get on sites such as very loud music, parties to all hours etc. He also will not accept bookings for just one night. The site will accept ACSI but not Camping Cheque. Sounds a bit strict I know, but well worth it for peace and harmony for all. The pools are fed by thermal springs at 30 degrees, but quite salty as a result. The only downside if there is one is that it is a good 5 km trek into Puerto de Mazzaron, so as we are elderly bike lovers, this was a bit too much. P de M is a very pleasant town with good supermarkets, market and a long beach front. The mountains also protect you from the westerly winds that plague La Manga.

The site also has access to a local storage facility, part of the same family, which I gather is very popular with many Brits.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info , we do have friends who are there already , will have to see what we make of it! if the sun shines it will make a difference,

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev
We have been to the rally at La Manga twice and really enjoyed our stays there. The first time was 3 years ago in the winter and we stayed for 3 months and at first sight the site looks like a shanty town but the place and area grows on you. So much so we went again the following year. The rally is very good and the site is much quieter in the winter. There is plenty going on with the rally from walking to bike riding, french boules and activities in the evenings. The weather is also generally good in the winter with temps around 20c on sunny days. The wind can get up but we did not find it a problem. Some people hate La Manga and some love it. We fall into the second category. I think you just have to go with an open mind and make your own mind up. We hope you enjoy your stay.

Jul 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi,
I am at the moment at La Manga and the weather here has been really good only wear a light jacket early morning and evening at the moment. We actually live on La Manga on and off but especially during the winter months in what is called a parcella and love it here. We originally came with the carvanning and camping club rally for a couple of winters in our motorhome and loved it so much we bought a static van. the camp site is getting full at the moment and there is so many activities I feel the guy who was only here is talking a load of rubbish 8 days is not long enough to get the full picture of the site. If you look at the website you will get a better picture and also there is a facebook site costa calida caravaning la manga murcia with loads of pictures of the activities. I have never seen any geriatic hippies in the 6 years we have been here obviously over the winter months there are mostly retired people here. Never seen people fighting over washing machines if they are full there is a laundry on site for the cost of the machines. We met a couple on the ferry coming over who were going on the rally for 6 weeks and never been here before but liked it so much they booked another few weeks.

All i can say is come and join us and make your own mind up and take no notice of mr. grumpy

angie,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts