Gas pigtail

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a dual auto switch over regulator which can connect to propane bottles. Although there are two pigtails, we have only used the one. Both are over 5 years old. I am wondering if we can use the unused pigtail as it is has never been used? Our caravan was serviced last year in December and there is no mentionmade on the life span of the current pigtail or even if a gas pressure test had been done by the dealer. If it is safe and I can use the one that has never been used all is well however if not, no issue changing the pigtail.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Normally it is five years after manufacture date and Hamilton Gas Products state that also. Whilst it may not have been used the rubber compound will age an be exposed to atmospheric contaminants . Fundamentally if you bought a brand new one that was five years old would you install it for use?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They are not about use, they are about age. Therefore no. The pigtail should be date stamped. Stainless steel may have a longer life.

I think the auto changeover unit is a waste of time. We never used ours either.

John

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
That’s a new one to me, as Hamilton Gas Products specify five years. Where do you get that life from? Stainless with PTFE can go up to 20 years.
The rules changed a couple or three years ago, I think it was around the same time as bulkhead regulators became 10 Year life span.
Truma pigtails have always been 10 years AFAIK

I have a feeling Damian can confirm this

Low pressure is five years black/orange I believe

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The rules changed a couple or three years ago, I think it was around the same time as bulkhead regulators became 10 Year life span.
Truma pigtails have always been 10 years AFAIK

I have a feeling Damian can confirm this

Low pressure is five years black/orange I believe

As ever in the caravan world advice is contradictory. There is no mandatory change period for
BS EN 16436 Class 3 hoses, some say five years, some seven years and some ten years.

IE This one

Think at the price I would probably go for five years on rubber hose. My last ones were armoured which have a much longer life and resist rodent attack. 🤞🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I inspected the hose yesterday when we went to the caravan and has a marking 2017 on it. It looked like brand new as no outside sign of deterioration, but obviously I cannot check inside. We have the Whale dual gas regulator.

Gas regulator.jpg

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If getting new pigtails I would recommend the handwheel type as in the picture. No more spanner searching and then trying to tighten in an awkward position.

59afcb5e77a14-416x416.jpg

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you don't use the change over, why not just change just one hose and fit a blank on the other side. For the sake of say £10 to £15, why risk your safety.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
As ever in the caravan world advice is contradictory. There is no mandatory change period for
BS EN 16436 Class 3 hoses, some say five years, some seven years and some ten years.

IE This one

Think at the price I would probably go for five years on rubber hose. My last ones were armoured which have a much longer life and resist rodent attack. 🤞🏼
Training courses say 10 years. I would say if it’s been pointed out on a service that the hose is 10 years old and no action taken and there was an incident they insurance may quibble 🤔

same with tyres etc, outside looks good but what’s going on inside?!?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If getting new pigtails I would recommend the handwheel type as in the picture. No more spanner searching and then trying to tighten in an awkward position.

John
Tried that but arthritis does not allow me to tighten properly.

If you don't use the change over, why not just change just one hose and fit a blank on the other side. For the sake of say £10 to £15, why risk your safety.
Thanks, but done that about 2 years ago.

What was the specification code on the hose?
No idea as only looked for the date.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Tried that but arthritis does not allow me to tighten properly.

Thanks, but done that about 2 years ago.

No idea as only looked for the date.
I thought in your original post you said both hoses were 5 years old now you say you changed one hose two years ago and blanked off the outlet but then show two hoses to the change over valve ?
I am getting totally confused.
You need very little tightening on the hand wheel type as they have a rubber sealing connection.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought in your original post you said both hoses were 5 years old now you say you changed one hose two years ago and blanked off the outlet but then show two hoses to the change over valve ?
I am getting totally confused.
You need very little tightening on the hand wheel type as they have a rubber sealing connection.
Apologies for the misunderstanding. Two years ago I blanked off the second hose, but never replaced it.

As for the hand wheel as I thought it was not tight enough, I changed it for a normal hose as at least I ca still hold a spanner. Maybe I was too worried about gas leakage when hand tightening which was a bit painful on my wrists and fingers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have decided to invest in the Gaslow 450mm stainless steel pigtail with the handwheel and are ordering from Hamiltons. Thanks for the advice.

As we never use the other outlet, not much point in changing it even if it goes out of date.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts