No new diesel cars after 2030

Page 25 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I get your point Clive but it does seem a quantum leap on the time scales being imposed for 2030. Do I sense a game of poker? Who is holding the best hand🤔🤔🤔🤔

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't play poker so I'm not sure exactly the strategy behinds it works - (please don't explain) but it is almost inevitable that when a commodity becomes highly desirable and short in supply due to limited sources, the commercial pressures are there to start to manipulate the markets, usually by limiting production, which pushes prices higher.

There are multiple projects in place trying to improve batteries and reducing their reliance on some exotic or limited supplies of materials. Some projects are producing promising results using very common materials.

Its actually quite interesting just looking back 5 years just what has been achieved in such a short time. Not just the development of EV's but the the strategy spreading across the world to alter our energy usage and to broaden our power generation and reduce our reliance on "dirty" fuels. Some countries are doing better than others, but its a start, but we also have a long way still to go, and its also interesting to see how some countries with what are considered poor records are making big strides but equally some so called advanced countries who are dragging their feet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't play poker so I'm not sure exactly the strategy behinds it works - (please don't explain) but it is almost inevitable that when a commodity becomes highly desirable and short in supply due to limited sources, the commercial pressures are there to start to manipulate the markets, usually by limiting production, which pushes prices higher.

There are multiple projects in place trying to improve batteries and reducing their reliance on some exotic or limited supplies of materials. Some projects are producing promising results using very common materials.

Its actually quite interesting just looking back 5 years just what has been achieved in such a short time. Not just the development of EV's but the the strategy spreading across the world to alter our energy usage and to broaden our power generation and reduce our reliance on "dirty" fuels. Some countries are doing better than others, but its a start, but we also have a long way still to go, and its also interesting to see how some countries with what are considered poor records are making big strides but equally some so called advanced countries who are dragging their feet.
Here’s one for consideration. Using carbon 14 graphite from nuclear waste, encased in artificial diamond, which prevents the high energy beta radiation going very far!!
Nuclear batteries have powered systems since the 1950s, and could help solve the conundrum of nuclear waste disposal.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Prof. I suspect Poker will be too illogical for you😉😉😉.
The real thrust of the article is akin to the old days of buying a ransom strip. Who knows?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And today I read we now have a world wide shortage of chips. So much so the car industry, never mind EV Production, is grinding to a halt. Time I opened a Chippy😉😉😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And today I read we now have a world wide shortage of chips. So much so the car industry, never mind EV Production, is grinding to a halt. Time I opened a Chippy😉😉😉
Take a long view. Intel are now building a mega factory in the USA as at present a primary source is based in Taiwan. Up to now companies have been lazy. They have designed their chips but had them produced in Taiwan.

More self sufficiency in chips and vaccine required. As we sure as heck will not be getting any Norwegian cod.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Take a long view. Intel are now building a mega factory in the USA as at present a primary source is based in Taiwan. Up to now companies have been lazy. They have designed their chips but had them produced in Taiwan.

More self sufficiency in chips and vaccine required. As we sure as heck will not be getting any Norwegian cod.
The Cod, are ours, they are caught in the North Sea,
I ❤Norway, but just too much fish and the beer is too expensive.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned in post #581 and it is going to be like that for at least another year or two.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reading the news this morning the French are threatening to cut off the electric supply to Jersey over fishing rights. That would probably be an act of war in the old days!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reading the news this morning the French are threatening to cut off the electric supply to Jersey over fishing rights. That would probably be an act of war in the old days!
They’ve been threatening a number of things since 1 January this year, none have come to fruition. Making noises for domestic consumption because they have elections coming up soon and fishing along with farming have always been somewhat incendiary topics.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Back to EVs sorry-but am watching long way up with Ewan and Charlie on the HD livewire-quoted price and range almost exactly the same as our Mini-oo sorry Mini was about 3k cheaper! BUT it looks lovely goes like and their support is the Rivian-now there is a car to get excited about -70k price slated-goes on sale in the USA this year-great range 0-60 in 3 s and tow chargeable in an emergency run out!!! 5000 kg towing capacity is being quoted at the mo and 4wd. Looks a lot better than Mr Musks thing too!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I watched it back in February. You are the only other who seems to have watched the series. Awesome vehicles and great logistic support from HD and Rivian.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Back to EVs sorry-but am watching long way up with Ewan and Charlie on the HD livewire-quoted price and range almost exactly the same as our Mini-oo sorry Mini was about 3k cheaper! BUT it looks lovely goes like and their support is the Rivian-now there is a car to get excited about -70k price slated-goes on sale in the USA this year-great range 0-60 in 3 s and tow chargeable in an emergency run out!!! 5000 kg towing capacity is being quoted at the mo and 4wd. Looks a lot better than Mr Musks thing too!
We certainly could not afford a £70k vehicle just to be environmentally friendly so will continue with our polluting diesel plodder. LOL!

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Me neither but it's another and therefore competition-it's capabilities are amazing and shows what's coming-and of course it's 70k$ so around £55000. OtherClive-I totally agree-amazing-big risk to both companies re reliablitiy -they were guinea pigs-just started episode 3-might be worth keeping Apple TV just for that!
How wrong is that cartoon!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Me neither but it's another and therefore competition-it's capabilities are amazing and shows what's coming-and of course it's 70k$ so around £55000. OtherClive-I totally agree-amazing-big risk to both companies re reliablitiy -they were guinea pigs-just started episode 3-might be worth keeping Apple TV just for that!
How wrong is that cartoon!
Totally. It’s an intriguing series not just for the HD and Rivians but the characters and the travelogues. Some quite challenging riding in the colder parts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I do not fins this funny. That is a gross distortion of the truth and sends out an entirely inaccurate picture.

I am not claiming EV's are perfect but It does not take a whole power station to charge and EV, There are plenty of unimpeachable studies that show despite all the conversions of energy and losses in mass generation and power transmission , generating and charging an EV is still better than burning fossil fuels in the car.

Emission's from a power station are better controlled than from ICE, and less per mile travelled and some of the particular nasties created by exploding fuel under compression are not made in power stations.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I agree Prof, thank you-it's total drivel-but how some see EVs. In actual fact the amount of electricity to actually produce the oil is phenomenal. And of course we are producing vast amounts of our electricity from green sources-not enough yet but 50% and above!

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In truth Prof we are all with you on EVs . Cost is a factor but in reality we will all be dead and gone before it becomes a problem on here. It will be a reality but In the meantime satire and jokes will continue, as they should for the sake of our sanity.. politics is worse👹👹👹.

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I do not fins this funny. That is a gross distortion of the truth and sends out an entirely inaccurate picture.....
With the greatest respect Prof, I'd suggest that the cartoon is satire which is meant to prick the sanctimonious bubble of some climate change zealots who take it upon themselves to disrupt the lives of ordinary people trying to get on with their daily lives.
Humour and satire are subjective and not everyone will be amused every time.
Many people wholeheartedly subscribe to the view that man made pollution and reliance on a finite supply of fossil fuels has to be severely curtailed, but not everyone agrees that climate change is entirely a result of the activity of mankind.
As stated earlier, we'll all be long dead when the world becomes green

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the greatest respect Prof, I'd suggest that the cartoon is satire which is meant to prick the sanctimonious bubble of some climate change zealots who take it upon themselves to disrupt the lives of ordinary people trying to get on with their daily lives.
Humour and satire are subjective and not everyone will be amused every time.
Many people wholeheartedly subscribe to the view that man made pollution and reliance on a finite supply of fossil fuels has to be severely curtailed, but not everyone agrees that climate change is entirely a result of the activity of mankind.
As stated earlier, we'll all be long dead when the world becomes green
Thank you, and I do understand satire but satire only works when there is an reasonable element of truth in it. This was pushing that element in my opinion.

I am one of those who also believes that climate change is the natural order of the life of the planet so man hasn't created it, but I do accept that our activity post industrial revolution has affected the rate of change, and we should be doing what we can to reduce or even remove our on going impact - whether we see the end benefit or not.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I totally respect your point of view Prof and we'll have to agree to disagree.
The world would be a dull place if we all thought and did the same things.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts