Refilling Safefill gas cylinder

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
My question is regarding the filling of a Safefill cylinder and I would like to know how others deal with this operation. I have up to now weighed my empty/part empty cylinder to gauge the weight of gas in Kgs that the cylinder will have room for. By multiplying the Kg figure by 1.96 I then know how many litres of gas it will take. Am I taking a to complicated approach to this and would it be easier to allow the over filling mechanism in the cylinder to shut off when it has sufficient gas inside, if it actually does this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your last sentence is a very good point. Do the auto shut off's work, and I know from professional experience that some don't. I was trained to fill Propane LPG cylinder's and we always used weight, as it also removes any uncertainty about quantity due to temperature. However we did have properly calibrated scales which are not available at non commercial sites.

Reactions: Stratton
May 24, 2014
Visit site
How safe are these things and how good is the refill network. The idea of these cylinders has crossed my mind due to the Calor mess.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present we have Calor but might look into Safefill cylinder and if the refilling retailers is great that would be a bonus someone on here rates them very highly :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a Safefill cylinder and have never bothered with weighing it prior to a fill. We connect up the hose until auto cut off works. Cylinder look as if it is ajust over 3/4 full which is about right.
If the auto cut off does not work, take it back to the supplier as soon as possible as you have a fault that could be dangerous!

Reactions: Stratton
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Looking into these cylinders, if I have my maths right:

Calor Lite (approx figures) Empty 4.52 ish. Full 10.5 ish. Approx 6kg of LPG which is around 11.5 litres of gas.
Dimensions 495 x 256.

Safefill (7.5kg cyl) Empty 4.1, Full 11.6kg ish. So 7.5 kg of LPG which is around 14.5 litres (80%)
Dimensions though are 482 x 310.

Height difference is irrelevant but the diamater is a touch more. Now looking at the Bailey Caravans with a mid located gas locker, is there room in there for two of these bottles or would I be limited to one. Anyone with a Bailey with mid locker??

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought that the Calorlite bottle weighed more than 10.5kg when full however you only get 6kgs LPG at a cost of £26. Safefill gives you 7.5kg for £about £11 on first fill. Subsequently about £6 for refill.
Two Safefills should fit, but why buy two when the one can easily be refilled at any time and any place? You can top up as and when you feel like ti and not when the bottle is empty.
We never looked at the break even point as we hardly ever go off grid, but at £6 for refill might as well use gas to cool fridge as more efficient than using 240v and same applies to heating water.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much what I am thinking except for the old chestnut of paying for the electric, may as well use it.

With the heating water side of things though, having it set to gas and electric but prioritising electric would be the efficient way to go.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Pretty much what I am thinking except for the old chestnut of paying for the electric, may as well use it.

With the heating water side of things though, having it set to gas and electric but prioritising electric would be the efficient way to go.
We have the ALDE heating where you have a choice of 1, 2 or 3kw. Using it on 3kw means you probably cannot have any other electrical appliance working even on a 16amp site as it draws about 12.5amp.
Using gas to initially heat the caravan in winter warms up the caravan a lot quicker especially when electric is set to 2kw and the site is only 10amp which is getting more and more common.
We normally have it on 2kw and use the gas to boost the water temperature up which means using less hot water in the mixture coming out of the shower for a slightly longer shower.
Main reason for Safefill was an "up yours" to Calor their monopoly and silly prices!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Main reason for Safefill was an "up yours" to Calor their monopoly and silly prices!

Too right. Notice how they have jumped on Covid as an excuse after years of lies and false promises about supply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Triple fuel fridges are most efficient on mains power.

In fact electric heaters are about as close to 100% efficient as you can get.

With electricity, the power can easily be controlled by a simple bimetalic temperature sensitive switch. When the fridge is cooled, the power turns off completely, meaning power is only used when its needed.

The heating element can be placed exactly where its needed in the refrigeration system and does not need a flue to remove products of combustion as there are no products.

When a gas flame is used, the burner needs a flue to allow products of combustion to escape. Without it the burner simply could not work. The flue needs some energy to drive the combustion, which it gets from the fuel being used. That energy is an inefficiency. flame may not be optionally placed to deliver heat to the refrigeration system- -another inefficiency. Thirdly practically you cannot burn a hydrocarbon fuel without producing some emissions. They are a third inefficiency.

By the fact that this thread is discussing "Safefill" cylinders and other suppliers have also been mentioned proves that Calor do not have a monopoly.

Whilst some more modern fridges do turn off the gas when cooling is not needed, older ones continue to burn the same flame regardless. That is another potential inefficiency.

Caravan fridges are only designed to use 12V when being towed, so are not worth considering for long term power.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our fridge works a lot better on gas than electric as it cools down quicker and to a lower temperature. Using electric the electric is probably sourced from somewhere that produces emissions anyway.

Only recently have other companies actively started supplying gas to caravanners and you will still struggle to find a campsite that sells gas from a competitor to Calor. Many dealership are restricted to selling only Calor gas.
Luckily we have the choice whether to use Calor or not and it is definitely the "not"! :D

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Had Safefill for some years now. I did not consider the "economics" but the convenience.

My cylinder has always cut-off at the correct time. In fact I know where the level should be when full and I keep an eye on it when filling. If the automatic cut-off failed then I'm sure I could stop filling very quickly and, if necessary, vent any excess.

I said economics didn't really prompt me to buy Safefill but it brings a smile to my face when I am charged around £6 for a complete re-fill and consider the Calor charges.

One last thing is that because you are able to top up at any time you can always travel with a full cylinder if you expect to need it. We know that 6 weeks in Europe will use close to around 4/5ths of the gas - maybe slightly more. And that's using a BBQ most days plus oven etc as required.

If you don't carry 2 cylinders then potentially gas will be wasted unless you are fortunate to find yourself empty just before knowing you will need a full cylinder.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So what size do you guys use?
Originally we had a 10kg bottle as we used to go on some rallies. When we got a newer caravan it was a real bind accessing the 10kg bottle due to its height. We sold it for what we paid and bought the 7.5kg which will fit into any caravan. Remember that the bigger the bottle the less payload available.

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
So what size do you guys use?
We use a 7.5kg Safefill in our van with a 6kg Calorlite as a reserve, which we've not yet used. I particularly like the fact that I can set of on a trip with a full cylinder each time. I use an electronic luggage scale to weigh the cylinder, I hoping it's pretty accurate as I 've not yet had to pay excess baggage at the airport checkin. I would urge any future prospective buyers of Safefill cylinders to do their research and check they have a local filling point. I have a garage local to me that has been doing gas conversions for cars etc for over 40 years so they are likely to be a long term supplier of gas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use a 7.5kg Safefill in our van with a 6kg Calorlite as a reserve, which we've not yet used. I particularly like the fact that I can set of on a trip with a full cylinder each time. I use an electronic luggage scale to weigh the cylinder, I hoping it's pretty accurate as I 've not yet had to pay excess baggage at the airport checkin. I would urge any future prospective buyers of Safefill cylinders to do their research and check they have a local filling point. I have a garage local to me that has been doing gas conversions for cars etc for over 40 years so they are likely to be a long term supplier of gas.
Whilst there are LPG supplies for use as motive power not all such filling stations are authorised or do allow the filling of portable containers.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well what a touch of luck. managed to find a dealer with two 7.5 kg bottles left. As with a prior suggestion, I will try with one bottle and keep a lite in reserve. I can always order a second if needed when stock is available.

If anyone else is looking for one, Kenmore Caravans have some stock, but not many.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well what a touch of luck. managed to find a dealer with two 7.5 kg bottles left. As with a prior suggestion, I will try with one bottle and keep a lite in reserve. I can always order a second if needed when stock is available.

If anyone else is looking for one, Kenmore Caravans have some stock, but not many.
If you are on FB there is a Safefill group with very handy advice. Make sure that the auto cutoff works and if not return the bottle as soon as possible. Unfortunately it will have to be taken to the supoplier as no courier will transport a bottle full of gas. Here is the map of places where to refill. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=50.73300249343872,-2.1581067212228975&z=7

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Brilliant. Thanks for that . There are also the Morrisons forecourts and we have one a couple of miles away that allows it. Not expecting to have to refill when Im away, if that become the case Ill get a smaller 5kg Safefill as an emergeny bottle. I have a full Calor lite as backup.

And of course the beauty of these things is that you can top them up when passing somewhere.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Never seen the need for two Safefill cylinders but then we don't use gas for a BBQ

We carry a safefill and a calorlite when we are away in Europe. Never needed to use the calor to date but not impossible to have leak on, say, an external BBQ so carry it "just in case"

"If you don't carry 2 cylinders then potentially gas will be wasted unless you are fortunate to find yourself empty just before knowing you will need a full cylinder".

This comment was referring to 2 calors. With safefill it extremely unlikely you will waste any gas at all.

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
With safefill it extremely unlikely you will waste any gas at all.

That was part of my reasoning. Fill it up at home, even if its only a topup, and that should see us through most trips.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I checked the map and around my area I would have to travel 3/4 hour and 25 miles to get to the nearest refill place. So for now I will stick to my two almost full calor lites and hope Calor get thier act together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our fridge works a lot better on gas than electric as it cools down quicker and to a lower temperature. Using electric the electric is probably sourced from somewhere that produces emissions anyway.

Only recently have other companies actively started supplying gas to caravanners and you will still struggle to find a campsite that sells gas from a competitor to Calor. Many dealership are restricted to selling only Calor gas.
Luckily we have the choice whether to use Calor or not and it is definitely the "not"! :D
If you were to do the necessary measurements you would probably find the fridge is using more energy in the from of gas then electric power.

Other suppliers of propane have been available to caravanners for over well over 40 years, however they have often been local companies, and if you were away from the locality you wold have trouble in sourcing replacement. But there have also been larger operations with a national presence, The difference being they do not specifically target caravanners and their dealers are not as densely spread in tourist area's.

Calor have not had a monopoly, but they did largely target the caravan and camping industry with their Butane offering.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts