Wartime Weekend on the Canal

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Camping & Caravanning Club Northants DA are holding a weekend rally at Home Farm, Stoke Bruerne NN12 7BG to coincide with the Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum 'Village at War weekend on 28th - 30th September.
The Village at War weekend will feature exhibits from the war years, an afternoon tea dance with instruction for beginners, living history re-enactors, a fly past by a Spitfire and a wartime dance on Saturday night amongst other things including, presumably, canal boats. The rally is £14 for the weekend with a separate admission charge for the museum.
TTFN

Reactions: Pamplona

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Stoke Bruerne 'Village at War' weekend was very good and the weather was kind which ensured a goodattendance.
P1030579_zps57ffee87.jpg

There were some interesting characters in 1940s period clothing
P1030592_zps03d98ec0.jpg

The Pitsford Home Guard turned out for the event...........
P1030603_zps88492594.jpg

And George Formby entertained the troops
P1030601_zpsa902d6dc.jpg

The Commanding Officer and his lady wife were most impressed

P1030589_zpsc6e47e5c.jpg

and there were many social gatherings.....
P1030590_zps135e4e18.jpg

First aid was available
P1030591_zps3674cc06.jpg

the ladies were very well dressed
P1030587_zpsd734e7f7.jpg

and there were some very elegant couples........

P1030605_zpsd5b20c2f.jpg

All in all we had a lovely weekend and met lots of really nice people, I'm looking forward to next years event at Stoke Bruerne

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow Parksy
that looks a lot of fun. as we have previously discussed i have never been on a rally. but if there was a rally that could have persuaded me... this would have been it.I love anything to do with WW2
we are members of both clubs, and to be honest i really don't know what DA we would belong to with the C&CC. we live in Solihull, would that make a difference. I notice that this rally was held by the Northants DA, i wouldn't have thought we belonged to that one.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tony
There seems to be a great deal of interest in all things connected with the Second World War at present, there are loads of weekend events over the summer months and more often than not there is either camping / caravanning on or near to the event venue (sometimes free or for a nominal charge) or a rally not too far away.

If you look on the bottom of your C&CC membership card your 'home' DA should be shown there and presumably there will be something very similar for the CC. I should imagine that you are either in the Birmingham DA, (a boozy lot, mainly adults, who are very friendly and welcoming, we've had some good times with them!) or perhaps the North Warwickshire DA, we haven't had the pleasure of a weekend with them yet but no doubt we will at some time.
The best thing about DA rallies though is that as a C&CC member you can attend pretty much any DA meet or rally in the UK, irrespective of where you live. We've been to quite a few rallies held by DA's other than our own, we have always been made welcome and have met some lovely people on our travels.
We are actually members of West Midlands DA, ( they have some really great weekends with entertainment and a good youth section if you have youngsters) as you may see from the picture of Simon our chairman on the website West Mids hold an annual wartime weekend rally which coincides with one of the two Severn Valley Railway Wartime Weekends, next years SVR events are billed as 'Step back to the Forties' and are on the weekends of June 29th-30th and July 6th-7th 2013. If you don't fancy the rally there is always the THS (temporary holiday site) held at Yew Tree Farm, Bewdley which has ehu, it runs out to about £9 per night with ehu.
If you want to know where and when the WW2 related events, weekends, dances etc are for next year let me know and I'll send you a list of some of the better events to go to.
There's a really good one this weekend on the North Yorkshire Steam Railway which is centred around Pickering, there are lots of things happening with daytime military displays and re-enactments and evening wartime themed dances, pub entertainment etc at Pickering . It's a bit far for us at the present time, we hope next year to go to Chrich Tramway Museum Easter 40s event in the Peak District which is also considered to be a good weekend, all we have to do now is to find out if there is a DA rally or a suitable campsite not too far away
smiley-laughing.gif

Rod's 1940s Events Calendar is worth keeping an eye on, it doesn't look much I know but if a wartime weekend or a 40s dance is worth going to it will be on Rod's calendar.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Parksy
thanks for the info. the Severn vally railway events sound good, as the other half is quite smitten with anything steam.
If you could send me the list of WW2 related events for 2013 that would be great. and who knowns if we ever meet up on one, i might even buy you a pint

Cheers
Tony

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'll look forward to that pint Tony.
I will compile a list a bit later in the year or early New year because I don't have all of the dates yet. I'll forward the list via email to you.
I can recommend the Severn Vally 40s event and there are plenty of campsites with ehu and also District Association rallies around the time of the weekends. (there are two weekends, one in June and one in July because the event is very popular)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts