Worx 10mm /20V Cordless Drill

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For years now on our caravans we have always use our Crusader corner leg steady winder but my wife was involved in RTA a number of years ago. she had an operation to separate her shoulder ball and socket joint- now needing more mechanical help with the steadies legs so a cordless will make life easier

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you need a decent cordless drill for other work then it is worth paying the premium, but for the steadies a cheaper one would be fine. It will need speed control and torque settings. The most dangerous thing is going too fast on a high torque, it can hurt your wrist.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you need a decent cordless drill for other work then it is worth paying the premium, but for the steadies a cheaper one would be fine. It will need speed control and torque settings. The most dangerous thing is going too fast on a high torque, it can hurt your wrist.

John
Hi John just checking the details it has 15 Torque settings + drill level and two - speed gear i brought it with some of my birthday money and i was hoping it will be ok for the caravan .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A few years ago we got a Makita with two rechargeable batteries from B&Q for the bargain price of about £90. Normally it would well over £130. A bit of an overkill for a caravan, but I have used it for other small projects.
The bonus of the drill is to buy the adaptor to use for screw pegs for the awnings instead of banging in the pegs. Saves a lot of hard work, is a lot quicker and also easier on the arm and shoulders. :D

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A few years ago we got a Makita with two rechargeable batteries from B&Q for the bargain price of about £90. Normally it would well over £130. A bit of an overkill for a caravan, but I have used it for other small projects.
The bonus of the drill is to buy the adaptor to use for screw pegs for the awnings instead of banging in the pegs. Saves a lot of hard work, is a lot quicker and also easier on the arm and shoulders. :D
it sounds like this cordless will ideal for doing items around the caravan and at home :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add that initially we bought the B&Q own brand as they were cheap. After a year you found out why they were cheap as battery would pack up and the replacement was as much as the original drill so be careful.
The Worx has a good reputation and the battery can be use din other Worx tools like pressure washer, hedge trimmers etc so a good buy. Always best to try and buy the extra battery at the same time as good to have two batteries if possible.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just to add that initially we bought the B&Q own brand as they were cheap. After a year you found out why they were cheap as battery would pack up and the replacement was as much as the original drill so be careful.
The Worx has a good reputation and the battery can be use din other Worx tools like pressure washer, hedge trimmers etc so a good buy. Always best to try and buy the extra battery at the same time as good to have two batteries if possible.
I brought it from Halfords at the time it came with one battery might keep a look out for a spare just in case . (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I brought it from Halfords at the time it came with one battery might keep a look out for a spare just in case . (y)
Apologies I thought you were still looking to buy one. All you need is the adaptors for the steadies and an adaptor for the screw in tent pegs. Adaptor for steadies cost about £5 from local caravan shop. Screw in pegs different adaptor required.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Apologies I thought you were still looking to buy one. All you need is the adaptors for the steadies and an adaptor for the screw in tent pegs. Adaptor for steadies cost about £5 from local caravan shop. Screw in pegs different adaptor required.
Going to Towsure and get the Leisurewize caravan corner steady winder drill adaptor and it comes with 13mm adaptor for awning screwpegs someone recommended for me

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a Stanley Fatmax. Comes with a spare battery, so no problem with it losing power when you use it and it is very good for the job.
You do need to take care when using a drill as you need to stop at the point the leg takes the weight, or the drill can spin in your hand.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a Stanley Fatmax. Comes with a spare battery, so no problem with it losing power when you use it and it is very good for the job.
You do need to take care when using a drill as you need to stop at the point the leg takes the weight, or the drill can spin in your hand.

I used to have a Black and Decker drill with two batteries, great drill but the batteries died after a good few years. Cheaper to buy a new drill. I got a Stanley Fatmax with two 2 amp batteries. I added to this with a jigsaw then a multi tool, both bare bones.

Now I have added again with a circular saw with two 4 amp batteries. As I figured the old batteries would be dying soon. For the second battery I have to send off and claim it. But the company Stanley use are being awkward. Also. Stanley have upgraded their batteries so they are not backward compatible with my old tools. But they do sell a converter. But that does not take the 4 amp battery. I have found a Spanish chap on YouTube managed to convert the converter so it will take the 4amp. I will have to do the same.

Black and Decker, Stanley and DeWalt are all the same company with a mission to make interchangeable battery usage as difficult as possible. Even between their own brands.

You may won't why some are 18 volt and others are 20 volt? evidently it's just down to the way the voltage rating is calculated in the UK and in America.

John

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I had a Skil 12v Ni-cad drill/driver for many years and it served me well for various heavy construction projects around the garden and house. Problem was that eventually the Ni-cad cells wouldn't hold much charge. So I stripped the battery packs down and re-built them with new Ni-cads. It worked perfectly for a day or two them the gearbox just broke apart and was not repairable. I still have 20 Ni-cads sitting in a box waiting for a project.

I replaced it with a Bosch 18V 4Ah Li-on drill/driver which is superb. I can drive a 6mm xx 150mm screw through a fence post like it was made of butter.

I suspect if I used it as a leg winder I could jack up the van completely :)

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I had a Skil 12v Ni-cad drill/driver for many years and it served me well for various heavy construction projects around the garden and house. Problem was that eventually the Ni-cad cells wouldn't hold much charge. So I stripped the battery packs down and re-built them with new Ni-cads. It worked perfectly for a day or two them the gearbox just broke apart and was not repairable. I still have 20 Ni-cads sitting in a box waiting for a project.

I replaced it with a Bosch 18V 4Ah Li-on drill/driver which is superb. I can drive a 6mm xx 150mm screw through a fence post like it was made of butter.

I suspect if I used it as a leg winder I could jack up the van completely :)
Thanks for the advice

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
My first Makita driver was way back in 1986, cost about £160, it had two batteries but it only lasted till about 2014 then gave up the ghost, not the drill but batteries which were redisclose price so bought a Lidle one with hammer which lasted three years when the hammer went. Lidle said sorry but no longer do that one , so still using it as driver for home and caravan . Regarding screwing in pegs. I find that as we are on a hardstanding pitch very rarely will the screw go in but using the hammer should do it but I have not got a hammer version yet. My trusty sledge hammer is just the job on those pitches and I always end up straitening several pegs after the holiday . Just to clarify I have both types of pegs. Going back to the longevity of the Makita. it was being used daily from 86 till 99 when I packed up what I was doing.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My first Makita driver was way back in 1986, cost about £160, it had two batteries but it only lasted till about 2014 then gave up the ghost, not the drill but batteries which were redisclose price so bought a Lidle one with hammer which lasted three years when the hammer went. Lidle said sorry but no longer do that one , so still using it as driver for home and caravan . Regarding screwing in pegs. I find that as we are on a hardstanding pitch very rarely will the screw go in but using the hammer should do it but I have not got a hammer version yet. My trusty sledge hammer is just the job on those pitches and I always end up straitening several pegs after the holiday . Just to clarify I have both types of pegs. Going back to the longevity of the Makita. it was being used daily from 86 till 99 when I packed up what I was doing.
We would like to try a cordless drill for the screw pegs on the awning but for back up we have a heavy duty hammer .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife said we will be using the cordless drill everytime we go on a break what a difference the caravan steadies legs are down much faster then a hand winder (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts