Damp found during service

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser went for its 4th service yesterday with AWS technician who is fanatically thorough. Caravan has not even done 1000 miles since last service with dealer. Previously all servicing was done by the Buccaneer dealer.

Sad to report that 42% damp found around the ALDE hot water boiler area otherwise all clear. He could not establish where there was a leak as it seems to be concentrated under boiler which is under the front offside bunk. Dealer will probably need to resolve.

Our bulkhead regulator which has two outlets has a leak 30mbar in 10 seconds from the connection that is not being used despite the fact that it is switched to the bottle being used. Can either replace bulkhead regulator or fit a cap. Not sure where to get a cap for that regulator or even where to buy a replacement regulator? Anyone help? Thanks.

The AWS also mentioned that when he removed the wheels he found that the brake linings and pads were covered in grease. He removed all the grease. I am now wondering if they were deliberately covered in grease a few years ago when we complained about a loud squeaking noise coming from the caravan when towing it slowly i.e. on a site?

Also it was pointed out that the fridge was not room sealed and fumes could enter the living space. Apparently with the outer vents removed, if you looked over the top of the tall fridge you could see a gap?

I did noticed a lot of groaning towing the caravan back to the storage site and it was really loud. I put it down to not removing the towball overnight although it had a cap on it. I did not clean it before hooking up as thought no need as only over night. Not sure when we will be going away again during October although may be out and about in November.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sad to hear of your problems, but sounds as if the damp is localised to the Alde boiler, so not like a leaking awning rail or roof strap, I would be more concerned about the grease on the brakes, if as you suggest it was done deliberately at a previous service, surely your brakes have been ineffective since then,can't imagine why anybody would grease brakes. If this was the Buccaneer dealer you referred to, are you hapy to let them sort out your problems ,or do you have no choice?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sad news very sorry to hear all that. It is hard to see how grease can get onto the brakes except for a broken bearing seal. But 1 would be bad luck. 4 of them considerably improbable in the extreme. So I can see why a deliberate act is something to think about. Did he take pictures?

I did not think that cleaning grease off linings once contaminated was a possibility. How was that achieved?

My stabiliser often groans for a short while. If it does not shut up I find a good clean usually fixes it. I spray the brake cleaner up into the hitch then use a clean rag. Once I found it necessary to remove the pads and thoroughly clean them.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would have had to seriously rub the dealer up the wrong way if you believe they would deliberately grease the brake pads. That would be a very serious matter, becasue of how dangerously it left the caravan which could easily have caused injury or death. If it was deliberate that could be attempted murder.

Just remember, the anonymity of the forum does not protect you if the courts ask for your details. And I suspect you have already posted enough personal information for people to know which dealer you could be referring.

Regardless of the whether there was malice aforethought or not, there is still an issue you do need to get cleared up, and that is how did the dealer allow it to happen. It is certainly something the Trading Standards should be told about, as it's a gross failure of accepted standard's of work.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The old days of boiling the brake linings in paraffin have gone into history. Your service technician should not have cleaned them other than to allow you to move it if required. The drums should be degreased and new brake linings fitted. Did he take any photos? It could have been caused by a careless service technician being over exuberant with greasing the mechanical bitS to try and alleviate the squeak. Then heat from the journey…………. Not a good position anyhow.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You would have had to seriously rub the dealer up the wrong way if you believe they would deliberately grease the brake pads. That would be a very serious matter, becasue of how dangerously it left the caravan which could easily have caused injury or death. If it was deliberate that could be attempted murder.

Just remember, the anonymity of the forum does not protect you if the courts ask for your details. And I suspect you have already posted enough personal information for people to know which dealer you could be referring.

Regardless of the whether there was malice aforethought or not, there is still an issue you do need to get cleared up, and that is how did the dealer allow it to happen. It is certainly something the Trading Standards should be told about, as it's a gross failure of accepted standard's of work.

The squealing brakes is a known issue on the ALKO chassis of that era and the issue was rectified within 3 months of purchase. The caravan had the first three services at the same dealership. We had a good relationship with the dealer until after the last service when things fell apart due to over charging.
Only the dealer would have removed the wheels etc and even if they did not grease the brakes to hide the fault, then the brakes would have had grease applied at its last service in Oct 2020 and apparently all four wheels had grease on the drums and brake linings.
I have no issue going to court if the dealer is stupid enough to try it on. BTW this is the same dealer that amongst other things charged me a couple of quid to do a CO2 test and I have it in writing!
Good suggestion going to Trading Standards, but the issue here is that after 12 months I would think it is impossible to prove as dealer could state that someone else could have done it.
Secondly the dealer will need to do the damp repair so it may not be wise to rock the boat too much at this point.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It is possible the dealer spread some copper slip grease on the rear metal part of the shoes where they sit on the mechanism?Something often done on disc brake pads to stop squealing. A few photos will help. If your dealer did grease the brake linings makes you wonder how many more caravans have been abused🤬🤬

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is possible the dealer spread some copper slip grease on the metal part of the shoes where they sit on the mechanism?Something often done on disc brake pads to stop squealing. A few photos will help. If your dealer did grease the brake linings makes you wonder how many more caravans have been abused🤬🤬
I would find it quite astonishing if a dealers technicians greased brake shoes. It’s so far against the norms of servicing that it’s difficult to imagine. Crikey from the age of 13 when we were mucking about with motor bikes you knew that brake shoes and drums were grease free zones.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would find it quite astonishing if a dealers technicians greased brake shoes. It’s so far against the norms of servicing that it’s difficult to imagine. Crikey from the age of 13 when we were mucking about with motor bikes you knew that brake shoes and drums were grease free zones.
Unfortunately no photos as going by what AWD technician told me. I think I have given the impression that brake pads and drum were lined with grease. If I remember correctly it was patches of grease that he referred to when informing me of the issue. Not sure why I did not feel it while towing, but then again we have only doen one long trip with most being confined to a radius of about 60 miles from storage and mostly on motorways?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately no photos as going by what AWD technician told me. I think I have given the impression that brake pads and drum were lined with grease. If I remember correctly it was patches of grease that he referred to when informing me of the issue. Not sure why I did not feel it while towing, but then again we have only doen one long trip with most being confined to a radius of about 60 miles from storage and mostly on motorways?
So the “ brake linings and pads were “ not “ covered in grease”. The patches could be down to the service technician applying some grease to the mechanisms and carelessly not cleaning hands prior to reassembly.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So the “ brake linings and pads were “ not “ covered in grease”. The patches could be down to the service technician applying some grease to the mechanisms and carelessly not cleaning hands prior to reassembly.
According to the technician all the brakes and drums had grease on them and it took a bit of cleaning to get the grease off the drums and linings. Would they remove the brake drums and linings during a service? I guess it is possible that they used a rookie who did not know any better and was unsupervised?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
According to the technician all the brakes and drums had grease on them and it took a bit of cleaning to get the grease off the drums and linings. Would they remove the brake drums and linings during a service? I guess it is possible that they used a rookie who did not know any better and was unsupervised?

They would remove the drums but not the shoes. They are exposed, examined, cleaned and adjusted. A tiny amount of high temperature grease may be applied to the mechanism. Getting any on the drum or linings is very poor. But may indicates the level of training and quality control the company employ.

I find it hard to think that there was very much as the technician thought it OK to somehow clean and to not recommend new shoes.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They would remove the drums but not the shoes. They are exposed, examined, cleaned and adjusted. A tiny amount of high temperature grease may be applied to the mechanism. Getting any on the drum or linings is very poor. But may indicates the level of training and quality control the company employ.

I find it hard to think that there was very much as the technician thought it OK to somehow clean and to not recommend new shoes.

John
Probably carelessness at last service, but still it should not have happened.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Re the damp; have you needed to top up the Alde?
If so other than following any refill or the initial setting to work topping up, that points at a local fluid leak.
If not, then the local damp could well be coming from the hot/cold water system.
If there is any exposed edge, plywood, taking up the moisture, it will be stained by the fluid, another hint of the source.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Re the damp; have you needed to top up the Alde?
If so other than following any refill or the initial setting to work topping up, that points at a local fluid leak.
If not, then the local damp could well be coming from the hot/cold water system.
If there is any exposed edge, plywood, taking up the moisture, it will be stained by the fluid, another hint of the source.
ALDE level has remained steady. I have now been informed that the damp in the front is a big issue on theses Buccaneer caravans. The front locker let’s water in quite considerably due to the screws in the plastic base plate hadn’t been sealed so water gets into the wood work. Under the front of the caravan the floor of the locker butts up against the caravan floor and tracks across.
The person telling me this used a length of Armaflex across the front locker door and it’s now dry and the damp is now down to 25%. His next step is to remove the locker floor.
As the caravan is a 2018 and it seems to be an inhernet fault I feel that it is the responsibility of the dealer to do the repair?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I dought that any mechanic would grease a brake shoe, even an apprentice, the wording could be wrong. You would have been shown the brake shoes if they had been replaced. . Which if they were covered in grease would have been the case.
The damp, you have a leak somewhere. Your tech should be finding where that is, it is in his interest.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why would the AWS engineer note the grease on the brake shoes if it was not there?
The Buccaneer is only 3 years old.
Each “ one shot “ nut costs circa £6.50.
Two mysteries
1. Why did the AWS “clean” the contaminated shoes?
2. Did the Main Dealer mess up?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps the truth has got lost in the translation.
I was quoting what I was told as I did not see the area where the grease was on the brakes. Obviously it is a concern however more important is the damp and the fridge not being room sealed. The latter should have been picked up by the dealer on the previous 3 services.
On checking the damp report for the past 3 years, it states that all readings under 15%. On the last service in Oct 2020 the dealer actually ticked off the areas tested on various layout diagrams and the area now claimed to have 40% damp the highest reading was 11%. Obviously since then the caravan was not used until April 2021 and then not on many outings.
The AWS technician seemed to be very thorough and even charged me £22.50 to remove furnishings i.e. bunk seats in front to access underneath the seats! I have never heard of this previously.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
“Charged to remove furnishings”

Was this normal fixtures that came with the van? That is new to me. Also it seems vey expensive. Did the techs T&C warn you of this charge prior to the service so you could have shifted them yourself if you so wanted.

The technician I have been using and once recommended to you (but perhaps you are out of his travel area). Has just sent me a letter. He is packing In the mobile work and has merged with M5 services near Kingsditch Cheltenham. Says it is to get in the warm and have the luxury of a lift. I am staying with him despite the inconvenience of taking the van to them. Better the devil you know.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
£22.50 to remove bunk seats! How were these fastened? I can imagine your comments had the dealer dropped that charge on you unannounced 🤫

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
£22.50 to remove bunk seats! How were these fastened? I can imagine your comments had the dealer dropped that charge on you unannounced 🤫
To be fair he did mention it to me when dropping off the Cruiser, but I was tired and had no room in the Jeep anyway. It would have been nice if it was mentioned before dropping off the caravan. Total charge for service on twin axle was £252.50. He did not quote for the damp or re-sealing the fridge.
He may be very thorough, but his overall charge was almost the same as the dealer last year who added on charges without notifying me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts