So what do you do for a living

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That must be monotonous, pretty much like watching paint dry eh?
Yes it is boring, its a good job I like fishing really and watching the seagulls. I know all of the seagulls personally by name now after working there for 14 years, and one in particular is quite good at painting my safety helmet white.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wish you well. I was diagnosed in 1989 its a problem but I thankfuly manage to live a good life of which carravaning is a big part thanks to the help and care my wife gives me, dont know what I'd do with out her help and muscles .
Hi paul, well our caravan is a large part of our lives as well , my missus is only 34 but i suppose qi=uite lucky because it didnt take that long to diagnose her. When we hopefully get our critical illness claim sorted she wants a new van to help her feel better. Still early days for us but managing to get by.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Research & Development Manager for a multi-national who manufactures various items of equipment to the electricity supply companies (switchgear, cable connectors etc).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I do performance and emissions testing of engines for an engineering consultancy, who in turn work for just about any OEM you could mention. Up untill a couple of years ago I mostly did diesels but since Oct 2003 have been working exclusively on the new 4.3L V8 petrol for the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage and some V12 DB9 testing too. Basically the data I record which I've optimised on the testbed/dyno, feeds into the hundreds of maps in the ecu to give the car its "Tune". Interesting work if you're into cars, boring as hell if you're not! Typically we are working anything from to 1 day to 5 years ahead of a launch.

If you're interested check out my company on www.ricardo.com Readers of diesel car magazine may well have heard of us on many occasions in that magazine's technical features.

Cheers and happy caravanning. Andy.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Im a telecoms engineer. Work for the Mobile telco's O2, voda, orange etc on their basestations doing upgrades and new installs on their networks.

Very very enjoyable, sometimes when in beautiful places like the north coast of Scotland and the Islands its paid tourism.

Only just bough the van so not had chance this year really, but next year will possibly use the 'van for accomodation if working away any length of time!!

My partner, Jo, is about to start childminding, Just waiting for the registration to come back through.

Steve and Jo

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike works for the government (secret stuff or so he tells me) and I'm a part time bookkeeper paying for the caravan and keeping the credit cards bills above water

Mikes wife

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Retired 10 years ago. then worked for my son until sept2004 now have become a gopher and plastic bag carrier for my wife. So people out there don't retire if all in all you have your health and like your job. IMHO

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I am a full time carer for a quadraplegic wife who can't see, speak or swallow, so thats an old van, an old car and an old goat with em, still i don't get any arguments from her indoors.

alan

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Im a Firefighter and the missus is a pa........although not for long ,just been diagnosed with MS
if you want any advice on caravanning with MS then give us a shout, the wife was diagnosed about 12 years ago but she's in a small percentage that have the worst strain on record. We still caravan in fact we are up the lakes this weekend if anyone fancies a visit, C&CCs Windermere site, front of disabled section, old lunar delta.

cheers

alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am a full time carer for a quadraplegic wife who can't see, speak or swallow, so thats an old van, an old car and an old goat with em, still i don't get any arguments from her indoors.

alan
Well done sir and may you enjoy your caravaning and life to the best for the situation you are in. I take my hat off to you.

G

Retired oilfield engineer. Ended up as a Project Engineer and living and working in too many countries I wouldn't want to visit again.

The 'boss' had her own career as a botanist until I screwed it up by dragging her around the world with me. She ended up as a John Lewis girl but is now happily retired also.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm an expeditor for General Motors, at a van plant which produces vans for Vauxhall, Opel, Renault & Nissan. Been doing permanant nights for the past 4 years. 'Er Indoors works at a care home.

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
Retired transport manager,but no-one told me that retirement was a full-time job! Twenty weeks in the caravan this year (so far). It's a hard life!
20 weeks in the van this year!!!!!

I am so jealous I'm glowing bright green

best of luck to you , you jammy G.. :)

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
well I was an IT project manager, then had a spell in the redundancy club for three months this year so took a contract job as an IT release manager and they took me on permanently as of 1st of this month, used the redundancy money to buy the van once I had the new job sorted. The wife is a call centre chicken for a spares company,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am a lecturer in engineering,about to retire, my wife is a full time carer for our disabled family, our son is profoundly disabled with no speech and requires all aspects of personal care, feeding, bathing etc, our daughter is a bit more mobile. We are a 'noticeable' family, and do everything together, if you see us on site come and say hello.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts