disabled parking

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I agree that disabled badge holders should be able to park near doors, and that parent and child spaces should be for parents with 'small' children (ie babys in carriers), my gripe would be that blue badge holders seem to think that is acceptable to park wherever they like. For example, near a road junction which has double yellow lines - they can park on them! Surely they are there for a reason, safety perhaps? These inconsiderate people who do this are most likely to cause accidents by doing so. Also why do they get free parking in car parks, they are still taking up a space, and to be honest if they can park anywhere (as it seems), it is unneccesary to have special spaces for them!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Disabled badge holders areallowed to park on some double yellow lines and there are some totaly inconsiderate prats who are disabled and they do park anywhere. The law is ,as far as I can remember, that disabled badge holders can only park where it is safe to do so and without causing obstruction. The ones who park without consideration are liable to be prosecuted and in some cases they are. As a 'Blue Badge' holder I think that any driver who parks without considering others should receive a ticket, regardless of whether or not they are disabled. They may be obstructing the emergency services and deserve everything that they get.

Disabled people are allowed space in car parks to allow wheelchair access for one thing. It is not easy to transfer from a car to a wheelchair in the street, so although disabled people can theoreticaly 'park anywhere' as you state this is not always practical. Some disabled people, especially children, travel by minibus so perhaps we should start by abolishing their parking places so that they wouldn't take up too much of your space. Oops, sorry, a certain Austrian gentleman had the same idea sixty odd years ago.

Has it occured to you that having a disability might be a tad tiring and what an able bodied person would consider to be a gentle stroll up the road for five minutes could turn out to be a gruelling, sweat drenched half hour marathon? I suppose that its only human nature to imagine that somebody is getting special treatment which stirs up resentment, but free parking and road tax are not that special when compared to good health.

Best Wishes, Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By 'eck, that stirred up a hornet's nest! Thanks for all your posts, folks. I'll still continue to remonstrate with offenders, but only if there's no bays left!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with you Steve, I'm not classed as disabled but incapacitated due to Spondylosis of my spine which caused my employers to terminate my employment. As they and the doctors wrote in my report, I had now become a liability to myself and others due to my condition and the unstability of my neck. My problem is the continual ache in my knees, theres no let up, not even if I take the normal painkillers which I no longer do. When I could see that my condition wasn't going to get any better I moved to a bungalow because I find stairs very difficult now and have to hold onto a rail, even descending is just has bad. I've had a shower fitted with grab rails because again it was hard to get out of the bath, I had a mover fitted to my caravan which saves pushing it. I had to see 5 different doctors when I finished working and I told them that I know my limitations so rarely get back problems, when I do it's normally from stooping, which I only have to do for a few minutes for it to lay me up for 24 hours. I told them my problem was my knees, the ache and theres no strength in them (no comments about my youth and damp grass please). Three of the doctors told me it is pain referral from my spine that is causing it. I'm not complaining though, at least I no longer have to work 12 hour shifts picking up drunks and smackheads out of the gutter on weekends no more :O) I'm just glad I'm breathing. What does p*$$ me off though are the whingers who complain about those who are disabled having priviledges. These are probably the morons who park in the disabled bays. These are the type that would like to bring back the ovens, it would solve a problem for them then. I know that there are people who abuse the system as there are those who will abuse any system but does that mean the majority should have to suffer because of them

My theory of why disabled people also get free passage on toll roads or bridges is because most live on disability benefit and need a car to transport them to places or are they supposed to be cooped up in care homes? O.K. i know that not all disabled people are penniless, some are wealthy from various means but the vast majority aren't. Until there's a way of means testing, the majority shouldn't make their lives even more miserable because of the few miserable, jealous bar stewards that inhabit this land.

Rant over. Fell better now :O)

Oops! not yet ... hehheh!

Theres a saying locally that "the good Lord doesn't pay all his debts in little green apples" so you can bet that in later life these same miserable gits will also suffer. Some years ago a work colleague told blatant lies and almost got two of my colleagues the sack. One day he was out walking when he collapsed and died, just as if hit by a thunderbolt. He was 40 years old. Scarey or what?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
To answer the original ? Question: what do others do in such circumstances?

I know what I would do, have some stickers made up " You have parked in a place reserved for disabled people "

That's why this sticker is on your windscreen, and believe me it won't be removed easily, but it can be removed.

It's not like my disability which is permanament.

Val & Frank

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To answer the original ? Question: what do others do in such circumstances?

I know what I would do, have some stickers made up " You have parked in a place reserved for disabled people "

That's why this sticker is on your windscreen, and believe me it won't be removed easily, but it can be removed.

It's not like my disability which is permanament.

Val & Frank
What a good post Emmerson

Lord B I'm sorry to hear of your spondilitis, life can't be much fun for you at times,although i can tell from some of your posts that you derive much amusement from diverse things. Keep your chin up eh?

The best thing about this post is that it able bodied and the not so able can try to see each others point of view. Franks idea of putting stickers on the car windscreens is a good one, and they in fact sometimes do this at our local Asda.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I must have pressed the wrong button then. Sorry I didn't mean for that post to be hidden in comments.:0)

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
I pushed the wrong button back there

All brings to mind when I was wallpapering a flat for a friend, some jerk parked accross the driveway. So I pasted wallpaper accross the windscreen with a message on it.

I felt terrible afterwards....................It was a midwife.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

I think you are missing my point somewhat the spaces in question are for the disabled only. NOT BLUE BADGE HOLDERS ONLY:look at the signs. a person with a disability all be it a temporary one (like a knee injury for instance)has more right to park there than someone with a badge for antie nelly

colin

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Colin,

I see what you are saying, but some how a distinction has to be drawn between the long term chronic disabled, and a temporary disablement. A blue badge seems to be the only way. Uless of course you are advocating 5 bays for Blue Badge holders only and 5 bays for temporary disabled ??? Police that if you will

Val & Frank

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
colin ... with the greatest of respect mate I think you missed the point to. It had already been mentioned by myself and others, way before you made your post, that the system is totally abused. I even have members of my own family doing it. They also have a disability car and he hasn't worked for at least 20 years. At this very moment he is demolishing the rear of his garage so as to extend his kitchen. He's laid his patio, fitted is kitchen and also a neighbours, and all this from someone who is in continuous pain. His latest scam was to claim for asbestosis. When they sent for him to attend a medical tribunal my sister told them he couldn't possibly travel that far (Mansfield to Sheffield) in a car. They then offered to get him an ambulance but again my sis said the pain would be too much for him. They went to his house then (where he always has a walking aid in full view although he doesn't use it). Thankfully he got turned down because there was no records of him working with asbestos and there was no damage to his lungs. He had even got a friend to lie and sign an affidivit that he worked with asbestos.

Whats the chances of the DHSS snoops catching him working on his house? None, because he lives at the end of a small cul de sac. If he's not using his blue badge his son borrows it when going off with his family. His son works but the sons wife claims for post natal depression, the child is 9 years old now.

Personally I would like to bubble him but then I don't think I could live with myself because all my life I've never been a snitch.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
colin ... with the greatest of respect mate I think you missed the point to. It had already been mentioned by myself and others, way before you made your post, that the system is totally abused. I even have members of my own family doing it. They also have a disability car and he hasn't worked for at least 20 years. At this very moment he is demolishing the rear of his garage so as to extend his kitchen. He's laid his patio, fitted is kitchen and also a neighbours, and all this from someone who is in continuous pain. His latest scam was to claim for asbestosis. When they sent for him to attend a medical tribunal my sister told them he couldn't possibly travel that far (Mansfield to Sheffield) in a car. They then offered to get him an ambulance but again my sis said the pain would be too much for him. They went to his house then (where he always has a walking aid in full view although he doesn't use it). Thankfully he got turned down because there was no records of him working with asbestos and there was no damage to his lungs. He had even got a friend to lie and sign an affidivit that he worked with asbestos.

Whats the chances of the DHSS snoops catching him working on his house? None, because he lives at the end of a small cul de sac. If he's not using his blue badge his son borrows it when going off with his family. His son works but the sons wife claims for post natal depression, the child is 9 years old now.

Personally I would like to bubble him but then I don't think I could live with myself because all my life I've never been a snitch.
There's no answer to that! perhaps dumbfounded

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Finally worked up the courage to jump into what is quite an emotional and heated debate. I can though put my hands on my heart and say that I have never parked in a space reserved for the disabled.

The first point I would address is the about seemingly able bodied people using these spaces. I am sure that my sister would have appeared to be one of those people when she was first issued a 'Blue Badge'. She had just begun an aggressive course of chemotherapy which left her, initially anyway, looking well but feeling very debilitated. If they have a blue badge, give them the benefit of the doubt.

The second is the fact that people with toddlers seem to think disabled people should not park in the bay reserved for 'parents & toddlers'. One very busy Christmas time I witnessed a strong healthy couple with one toddler remonstrating with an elderly lady, who was walking with the aid of two sticks, for parking in such a space. I think we have our priorities wrong somewhere!

It must be borne in mind that with most of these stores parking is at a premium and if they provide parent & toddler spaces it is probably at the expense of additional disabled facilities.

On a much less charitable note, when I was a child my mother used to deposit me at 'Saturday Morning Pictures' when she went shopping, now parents often seem to use the magazine and toy areas of Tescos as an unofficial chid minding area where they can be left completely unattended whilst they shop unencumbered.

I vote for adult only shopping periods!!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Barking (is that where you are from or what you are,friendly comment)I agree with what you say but am particularly interested in your sister ( in the nicest possible way)my wife is just coming out of the final stages of treatment for cancer (total remission) but as you say whilst she was having chemo she was very dibilitated but was told that she could not have a blue badge.

I feel that those that object to the badges are reponding to apparent abuse,in the village where I live the main thoroughfare is fairly narrow with double yellow lines on both sides,yet every day you see a particular car pull up,out goes the badge on the dash, he gets out and runs across the road to the bookies,all this when he could park on the forecourt to the shop.It is hard to believe that he is the badge holder.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Would it be better if the spaces for wheel chair users were positioned away from the store as they could then roll down the hill on the way in and when leaving the trolly collectors could push them back up , say 20 at a time,snake like as they do with the trollies.

Thought not ;O)

Able bodied people in disabled spaces should be clamped.

Brian (",)

Jun 19, 2005
Visit site
In response to Franks comments about putting stickers on peoples cars? I know wheelchair users who have done this but the problem arises when you are place the sticker on the car. This can be seen as vandalism. What do you think will happen when the Police are called? They will support the person in the parking bay because it is not against the law to do so but it is against the law to damage someone's car.

You used to be able to buy stickers from internet auctions for this purpose but I would never do it because if people are inclined to park in the space, they don't care anyway and I think the majority of them would not think about giving you a slap. Being wheelchair dependent isn't a bag of laughs but I would rather keep my head on my shoulders. I will put my points on view forward on paper but as to challenging people at their cars, been there done it, got the t-shirt but have been treatened too many times.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
People who park in disabled spaces appall me to, I would never do it under any circumstances, however I am equally appalled by those abuse the system.

For example my sister in law has had a disabled badge for 20 years and there is not a thing wrong with her.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
In response to the Motorbility cars, only this week I met up with an ex-colleague for coffee. He had one of these cars after he had to finish work through angina and a worn neck of femur. He had to go before a tribunal after being told it was being taken away. No medical examination, just a letter from his doc supporting his appeal which he lost. He had a hip replacement since finishing work and a triple by-pass 20 years ago but the angina has returned.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Reading these posts made me have a look at my disabled parking permit(blue badge) and blow me down if it doesn't expire tomorow ! Thanks everybody, its a good job that I looked.

Needless to say that I had to go to Tescos for the dreaded photo and to the council office P.D.Q. ( Didn't bother with disabled bays, had a really good day today)

Of course, the lovely Carole then went into a 'shopping frenzy' because we're going away at the weekend plus the insurance check arrived for the goods and chattels that we lost in the flood :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
P.S. I loved the suggestion from Brian ,St Albans about the trolley pushers. I'm still laughing at that one:0)

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Barking (is that where you are from or what you are,friendly comment)I agree with what you say but am particularly interested in your sister ( in the nicest possible way)my wife is just coming out of the final stages of treatment for cancer (total remission) but as you say whilst she was having chemo she was very dibilitated but was told that she could not have a blue badge.

I feel that those that object to the badges are reponding to apparent abuse,in the village where I live the main thoroughfare is fairly narrow with double yellow lines on both sides,yet every day you see a particular car pull up,out goes the badge on the dash, he gets out and runs across the road to the bookies,all this when he could park on the forecourt to the shop.It is hard to believe that he is the badge holder.
Niether, Barking is what I am! Re sister, prognosis was poor and she got the BB as she had been diaknosed with a fatal illness, seemed it was standard procedure. Went to her remission party 2 weeks ago.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
For Colin - Yorkshire in response to your comments I show below:

"hi all

I think you are missing my point somewhat the spaces in question are for the disabled only. NOT BLUE BADGE HOLDERS ONLY:look at the signs."

Colin the signs at all THREE large supermarkets near me ALL state that the allocated Disabled Parking Bays are for BLUE BADGE HOLDERS ONLY.

Perhaps they are signed differently in your town.

Steve

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
We got a Blue Badge for ower son.

Finned abort in to stop people use who have not got them who do not have badge and I can not see y they can not bring them in as so of the big shop centre have signs up say if no badge is show then you get clampt and find.

Sooner the better.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts